Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger XRT new 2018 model - screen buffeting  (Read 2260 times)

Offline mim

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRT '18
Tiger XRT new 2018 model - screen buffeting
« on: October 28, 2019, 04:23:05 PM »
Hi

Sorry to start another thread about screen buffeting, but I can't seem to find a thread relevant to my MY2018 XRT, with the new sliding screen + winglets.

I'm getting really bad buffeting whether I slide the screen up or down.

Before this I had a 2014 Road & a 2017 XRX & I got on ok with both of those using the higher Touring screen, not perfect but certainly ok.

I'm not keen to shell out 300 on a Madstad just yet, any ideas what I could try?

I've found the Bike HPS website & they have MRA & those small spoilers which fit on top of the screen. Others recommend GIVI or Puig - but how do I know which is any good?!

I'm a shortie 5'7" / 168cm & put the seat on the lower setting

Cheers
mim

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Re: Tiger XRT new 2018 model - screen buffeting
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 04:53:56 PM »
Have you changed your hat?
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Matchbox

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 18 Tiger XRT
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 09:41:08 PM »
Also 18 XRT and 57 and no buffeting! Generally have screen in middle position.

Helmets and jackets can make a difference.

Offline Splinkter

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 19 tiger 800 xcx
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 09:49:27 PM »
I'm 5ft8 and don't get any buffeting with the screen at its lowest setting. Tried a different helmet?

Use your hand to see where the air is flowing around the screen. It may be something else.

Offline Matchbox

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 18 Tiger XRT
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 10:08:46 PM »
My summer/autumn helmet has a peak(for low sun)and no problem either.

Offline mim

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRT '18
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 10:24:11 PM »
Thanks for everyone's throughts - in fact I'm still using the same helmet & jacket as previous XRX.

I will try testing the airflow using my hand - it may be the air is coming from around the side of the winglets
mim

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 04:23:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by mim [+]
I will try testing the airflow using my hand - it may be the air is coming from around the side of the winglets

I had a Touratech spoiler on my original Roadie and have transferred it to my XRX. Works great and way cheaper than a new screen especially considering that they can be swapped from bike to bike.
I was told by the local Touratech importer to test whether it would work with my hand before I purchased so for about a month I experimented with putting my left hand horizontal on top of the screen roughly in the position the spoiler would sit and riding for a couple of hundred metres if possible before removing my hand. Every time while my hand was in position I thought there was no benefit then as soon as I removed my hand I realised there was a big benefit (for me). I suggest riding with your visor open while doing the hand trick as you can feel definite differences in the wind hitting your face with and without a hand acting as a spoiler. I don't think the brand of spoiler makes a big difference although some are permanent mounts and some are adjustable. In my case the Touratech one was available and believe it or not the cheapest one.

Another usual cause of buffeting apart from Helmet is mirrors. If you are able to take the mirrors off and go for a ride and see if there is any difference in buffeting.

Offline Wal_T

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: White 2019 XRX
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 06:43:17 AM »
I have a 2019, am 5' 10" and get buffeting with all my helmets at all screen heights. Not significant, but enough to be annoying and fatiguing. I took the windscreen off entirely and have had no problems with either buffeting or general wind blast. I've found it preferable to having the screen on.

Now that I've had the bike a while I might refit the screen and try it out again, but I think that basically it is a good looking screen that does a poor job of buffet elimination.

Offline penry

• Tiger Pro
  • No solution is insurmountable...
  • Bike: Tiger 800XCA '19
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 06:58:49 AM »
2019 XCA which I think has the same screen and winglets ?
I'm 5'11" and have the screen on highest setting.
Seat is also on highest setting.

Ride in textiles and a Schuberth C3.
No buffeting to report here.

Campsite Clouseau.

Offline djjuk

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 18 XRT
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 12:29:01 PM »
I think it can be very helmet specific. My Xlite - great helmet but really noticable buffeting on my '18 xrt. GT Air 2 - no buffeting.

Recent Topics