Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger XRT new 2018 model - screen buffeting  (Read 2549 times)

Offline bucksfizz

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 18 Tiger 800 XRT
Re: Tiger XRT new 2018 model - screen buffeting
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2019, 12:32:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by mim [+]
I've found the Bike HPS website & they have MRA & those small spoilers which fit on top of the screen. Others recommend GIVI or Puig - but how do I know which is any good?!

Unfortunately, you don't, as I have come to appreciate that we're all different, and what works for one person doesn't for another.
I really liked the Givi Airflow screen on my old BMW R1200 GS, and could ride at 70 mph with visor up.
When I bought my 2018 Tiger XRT, I hated the screen, but Givi doesn't make the Airflow for the 2018+ models.
I ended up with the MRA Xcreen, which works reasonably well - better than just the OEM screen.

Offline mim

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRT '18
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2019, 10:56:22 AM »
Thanks everyone for your comments, lots for me to think about.

I'm not sure I've reached any conclusions so I'll try out a few of these ideas.
mim

Online applecorp

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XRT 2018
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2019, 01:48:29 PM »
Not tried one on my Tiger but I've had positive experiences with the MRA spoilers on other bikes.

Offline mim

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRT '18
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2020, 03:11:35 PM »
Thanks for everyone's comments - though I'm jealous of those who have no buffeting at all!

I ended up buying the MRA Vario Touring Motorcycle Screen (VTM), bought from HPS

https://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Triumph_Tiger_800XC_800XR_2018_Onwards_MRA_Adjustable_Motorcycle_Touring_Screens.html#aCOL65879

The buffeting is almost all gone, although sometimes when the spoiler is set to a high position, I can't see over it to what is directly in front of the front wheel, it just means I have to look slightly farther ahead.
mim

Offline Elmer J Fudd

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2020, 05:03:59 PM »
I had a 2017 XRT with adjustable screen and buffetting was pretty bad up to about 80mph and OK above (speeding is not a good long term solution).

I bought a second hand screen and tried out the theory that lower was better, by cutting it down a bit then a bit more until it was just above the clocks, which it was, as the buffetting then disappeared, however was replaced by wind pressure (Ok at low speed but not at higher).

I eventually bought some plexiglass off ebay and made a deflector based on dimensions from internet pictures. Mounts made with meccano and shaped using a heat gun and bending in a vice. Covered the screen with masking tape to avoid scratches and attached with more tape to mimic the positions available. See pic.

The conclusion was that the deflector worked as the best compromise with a mid screen position, so I purchased an MRA version.

The few times I have been on the 2018 Tiger I have just put the screen low, but did notice some buffetting. I would make a DIY deflector again before purchasing as sending back can be difficult.

Offline Gaz68

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2020, 12:03:32 PM »
I changed out the standard screen on my XRT with a givi airflow, initially  trial before heading for a madstad, I wouldn't go back or spend the money on the madstad, the givi is perfect. I'm 5'11 and use a shark evo one 2. Works well for me..

Offline bucksfizz

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 18 Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2020, 01:46:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gaz68 [+]
I changed out the standard screen on my XRT with a givi airflow, initially  trial before heading for a madstad, I wouldn't go back or spend the money on the madstad, the givi is perfect. I'm 5'11 and use a shark evo one 2. Works well for me..

Which year is your XRT?
My understanding is that the Airflow does not fit the 2018-> models.
Or did you do some jiggery-pokery to make it fit?

Offline rubbertoe

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800 xca
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2020, 02:54:19 PM »
I have a new 2019 xca and I called Givi and they told me they do not and will not make an airflow for the 2018 and later models. Too bad for us. I had an airflow with a madstad mount on my weestrom and it worked perfectly. I am 6ft one inch and the stock Triumph shield is horribly noisy event at 25  miles an hour and up.
                           I will probably try a Madstad screen.

Offline zsguerreiro

• Tiger Member
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2020, 03:50:26 PM »
Not sure if it makes a difference, if you're converting cm to feet but 168cm is not 5'7 but 5'5.
Only saying this because I've seen a lot 5'7 riders saying they have no issues with buffeting...

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2020, 04:29:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by zsguerreiro [+]
Not sure if it makes a difference, if you're converting cm to feet but 168cm is not 5'7 but 5'5.

5'-6" and a bit.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch