Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Sat Nav, Scottoiler & Optimizer all direct from the battery?  (Read 436 times)

Offline IanEROY

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: XRX '17
Sat Nav, Scottoiler & Optimizer all direct from the battery?
« on: November 02, 2019, 02:19:32 PM »
So initially I had my sat nav wired direct onto battery terminals, then I have had a scottoiler fitted and this is also direct onto battery terminals.

I have never used a battery optimizer before but this morning have gone to bike and the battery is dead - the scottoiler had drained it (yes I know, I should have read instructions and switched off the oiler but you live an learn). The oiler has a inline fuse fitted to wiring.

I have an optimizer which i put on battery via terminal with crocodile clips - but I have the terminal fittings so wired up accordingly. Seems to be charging ok.

Question is - should I have the loom and 3 extras stacked on the battery terminals?

I am electrical ignorant but it seems not the best of ideas? I really do not want to chop into any part of my wiring loom.

Suggestions please

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: Sat Nav, Scottoiler & Optimizer all direct from the battery?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 02:40:51 PM »
I use Eastern Beaver 3CS (2 switched circuits), the third permanently live - which I use for the optimiser.  Much neater and less likely to cause problems of over crowding at the battery terminals.

https://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wiring_Kits/Fuseboxes/3_Circuit/3_circuit.html
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 06:17:57 PM »
You could get a Hella/John Deere plug for the optimiser so you can plug it straight in to the auxiliary power socket rather than using flying leads to the battery. I have a Scottoiler and a voltmeter wired permanently to the battery with no problems, and a satnav take-off from a switched circuit rather than a permanent live one.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline IanEROY

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: XRX '17
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 08:07:30 PM »
Thanks for replys

Didn't realise you could you get an aux socket plug - will try that option

Offline steve@lincs

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 10:23:03 PM »
ray depending on year and canbus crap you could take it from the well used and trusted horn piggyback?  Pre 2017ish I think

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 12:53:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by IanEROY [+]
Thanks for replys

Didn't realise you could you get an aux socket plug - will try that option

Looks like they're getting a lot cheaper. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRUCK-CAMPER-VAN-HELLA-DIN-12V-24V-DC-ACCESSORY-POWER-PLUG/123763317126?epid=0&hash=item1cd0de5986:g:y60AAOSwtrZc1e2a I'd advise getting one like that with the sleeve connection being a number of leaves around the centre rather than one like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-24V-UNIVERSAL-MALE-DIN-AMBER-FLASHING-ROTATING-BEACON-PLUG-CONNECTOR-HELLA/232954699659?hash=item363d2e9f8b:g:-hcAAOSwT5tWMkh1 which just has one or two outer connectors.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline watky

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Member
  • 2018 XRT
  • Bike: Xrt 800
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 01:47:09 PM »
Have a look at " innovv power hub 2" can connect up to 5 devices  :028:

Offline TigerNige

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Road
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 05:47:29 PM »
I went with a single fuse (10amp glass- but that's personal preference)  to a Large 30 amp mains terminal block, one with plenty of insulation clearance, added my sat nav etc, there rather than the inevitable pile of connectors on the battery terminal. Just make sure the block is tucked away in a dry safe place under the seat. There are custom made fuse holders and splitters out there but they tend to be a bit bulky.

Offline nigelw6

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: tiger 800 xrt
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 07:35:53 PM »
I use an Innovv Power hub to power my sat nav. led light strips attached to the hand guards and a powered usb plug which powers my Tomtom bandit camera. The live feed comes from the rear light cluster and everything is hideden under the seat. It is only powered when the ignition is on but it works a treat.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch