Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: XCX Front ABS Lever Travel  (Read 212 times)

Offline mountainmile

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 xcx (2015)
XCX Front ABS Lever Travel
« on: November 04, 2019, 06:02:09 PM »
I fitted new HH pads a while back (just cause I don't really rate the brakes on my 2015 800 XCX)
I pushed the pads back into the calipers as I would on any non abs bike and fitted the pads /pumped up the lever to push the pistons back out etc

Ever since the above ive noticed (and its NOT air in the system) the lever travel varies on almost every use of the brakes.
Its not spongy and always feels solid , but sometimes the lever travels minimal distance before I feel the pads bite and other times the lever travels maybe half way.

I never noticed it previously and although searching online a lot of people say that's not unusual ,Im wondering why it suddenly may have started doing that (Its v annoying if im honest)

Thanks in advance

(Ive looked at the procedure to purge the abs pump etc but if the lines have not been opened to the atmosphere/no air could have got it ,im asking here first)

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
Re: XCX Front ABS Lever Travel
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 09:56:28 PM »
Might be that the new pads haven't worn evenly yet and bite inconsistently giving you the uneven feel. I'd give them a bit of use to let them wear in. Then reassess.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

Offline mountainmile

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 xcx (2015)
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 12:16:25 AM »
Thanks ChuckXC
Its actually done about 1500miles since pad change so they are bedded in etc
Its only now that its beginning to bug me more and more hence the post here

Online D6864

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: White XC
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 08:51:54 AM »
Could be play in the wheel bearings allowing the discs to knock the pads back varying amounts. Also check axle pinch bolts and triple clamps, anything that could allow the wheel or forks to move.

Online geejay

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 10:26:51 AM »
You could try pumping the lever up and tying it back to the bars and leaving it over night. I have used this method on my bikes and classic car. I dont know why it works, but it does.

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 10:41:52 AM »
*Originally Posted by mountainmile [+]
Its not spongy and always feels solid , but sometimes the lever travels minimal distance before I feel the pads bite and other times the lever travels maybe half way.

Sounds to me like the calliper pistons need a clean up. Would have been best done before you pushed them in taking the crud into the dust seal.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Recent Topics