Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New to biking with Sat Nav.....Help!  (Read 755 times)

Online kempy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: MK1 800XC 2010
Re: New to biking with Sat Nav.....Help!
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 10:14:21 AM »
+1 for Tomtom Rider 550 here  :028:
It's a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll

Offline louthtiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2019, 03:18:33 PM »
I just use my phone and the Navmii app in an ultimate add-ons waterproof holder. Extra country maps are 2.99 each and I have used it for 75k miles on my bikes and in my cars. 

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2019, 01:21:05 PM »
My Tiger came with a TomTom 410 which I now have mounted above the clocks. I don't think the PC software is terribly good but it's usable, and the TomTom itself can be set for different levels of windingness and hilliness.

On the assorted twins, I don't have a cradle for the TomTom (yet) so I've used a phone in a tankbag or in a bracket on the handlebars. With an aux power socket and 12V to USB adaptor, it can be powered if necessary. The principle disadvantage is that if you plan a route on a PC by dragging the route around, those drag points won't be transferred if you send the directions to your phone.

Long-winded diversion about Google Maps here: you can overcome the limitation of dragging points around, if for each point that you've dragged you right-click on it and select "Add destination", then on the left-hand side of the screen, drag the destination you've just created to the right place on the route. This then creates a route with up to 10 (I think) destinations, and that route can be sent to your phone. However, when you follow it in real life, you need to acknowledge having reached each destination by tapping a continue button, otherwise it will get confused.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: White 800 Roadie
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2019, 05:57:32 PM »
I went for a garmin years ago as I was fed up with all the problems I had with a non-waterproof car sat nav in various cases. It was not really reliable the sat nav quite often just shut down because it overheated. I then tried my mobile phone trouble there was :not bright enough did not see enough wearing sun glasses. This may have changed.

With the Garmin I am happy as it works all the time, I get lifetime free maps, I do not need Internet to navigate. In the end buying the Garmin saved money...
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2019, 12:44:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by Derchef1962 [+]
I get lifetime free maps, I do not need Internet to navigate.

Be careful with that on. Lifetime is not your lifetime. It is the service life of the product which is generally 5-7 years. At that point Garmin will stop giving you the free maps and instead start offering you discounted upgrades.

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2019, 07:27:16 AM »
I was warned about that ^^^ when I bought my Tom-Tom.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2019, 11:47:24 PM »
I suspect that depends on whether the format of the map files changes. This is Garmin's "lifetime" disclaimer: https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/legal/lmdisclaimer/

The first satnav that Mrs Zero had was a Navman - they completely changed the file format on that so it was impossible to update the maps. However, the Garmin that I had for a while and gave to her came out in 2012 and is still a current model with updates available.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline Elmer J Fudd

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2019, 12:07:28 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
Be careful with that on. Lifetime is not your lifetime. It is the service life of the product which is generally 5-7 years. At that point Garmin will stop giving you the free maps and instead start offering you discounted upgrades.

I bought a Garmin 34something? after a bit of research at the time and found that  5 - 7 months seemed to be the lifetime as one by one they broke and were sent back for repair / replacement. No sound. Frozen screen x 2, just died....

To be fair the last one, now a 395 (as a replacement), has lasted over 2 years, however when in France last year it decided that the good old French had built a new road near Blois along with a new bridge over the Loire. Of course they hadn't and if I had followed the directions through a field of sunflowers I would have got rather wet. When I pointed this out to Garmin they asked me to record it on their website, except their website wouldn't record it. So I posted on their facebook page. "Not allowed" they said (it seems the facebook page is only for good news....) It has also given directions up one way streets (the wrong way) even though maps and software are kept up-to-date.

Suspect the competition will be similar. I still use it, but always double check the route on my phone and Google maps (if its a purely A to B route) but just take pot luck if i'm meandering about.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch