Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New to biking with Sat Nav.....Help!  (Read 1204 times)

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Re: New to biking with Sat Nav.....Help!
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2019, 03:47:45 PM »
Like a lot of equipment, it's worth taking the time to understand what you want it to do.

• Get you from A2B by simply typing in where you want to go
  • Simply as a last resort to head you in the direction of home or hotel at the end of the day or find the nearest fuel or food stop
  • Get you from A2B via a precise route that you have chosen and pre-loaded
Bike specific models will do all of the above with various options to do so.
Other types will at least do 1 & 2 but if you want to determine the exact route, look carefully at the specs before buying anything

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
Re: New to biking with Sat Nav.....Help!
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2019, 07:51:16 AM »
*Originally Posted by Rtwo [+]
Like a lot of equipment, it's worth taking the time to understand what you want it to do.

• Get you from A2B by simply typing in where you want to go
  • Simply as a last resort to head you in the direction of home or hotel at the end of the day or find the nearest fuel or food stop
  • Get you from A2B via a precise route that you have chosen and pre-loaded
Bike specific models will do all of the above with various options to do so.
Other types will at least do 1 & 2 but if you want to determine the exact route, look carefully at the specs before buying anything

I went opposite because when I travel, as I'm a photographer, I allready have enough electronics and things to charge that add weight, so I got a rugged Chinese made phone, for 230 that's IP68 and has a 6000 ma/h battery, meaning this phone can do full screen on GPS for more than 8h, because the Caterpillar stuff is overpriced and not better, it's so nice it became my everyday phone.

The phone does all the above, 1 and 2 I use google maps as it's always the best at finding street adresses, or nice places to eat with the advices Embedded.
For 3 I use OsmAnd, I tested many apps but this one has the most precise and clear, lanes and roundabouts etc diagrams so you always are on the correct route, there's warnings you can enable or not, for pedestrians crossings, speed cameras and other stuff, it allowed me in Scotland to make multipoints routes, that other app didn't and if I really needed to find the address in the end, back to google but it was rare.

There's even other apps for dirt riding, that I didn't test much but seem good !

Still carry a paper map to roughly plan and ask locals stuff I can write in, still didn't find a better way to do this !
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 08:03:59 AM by Djairouks »

Recent Topics

winded-staunch