Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What is this sensor under the Battery ?  (Read 596 times)

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2015XC
What is this sensor under the Battery ?
« on: November 10, 2019, 12:20:16 PM »
Read the comments about the major fuse that lurks under the Battery so decided to explore.

Damn what a poor design, this is going to get wet feet long before the air filtration system starts to suck water.

Of course my casing was full of sand and mud, the hole half blocked... so pulled the wiring and cleaned the area whilst pondering where this fuse should move too.

However also found this little gem next to it, (see pic) can anyone tell me what his purpose in life is and what should I be aware of, should I also move this ??

Cheers.

Ps, only owned this bike like 9 months and finding all sorts of 'gotchas', has anyone ever done a top 10 mods to minimise wiring and mechanical problems ??
Or should I start one ?

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Re: What is this sensor under the Battery ?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 12:28:06 PM »
Air pressure sensor maybe
Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 02:35:10 PM »
Can't see the other side but looks like Air temp sensor (intake)
Need Support ? Post issues in this section: Forum Help / Issues / Problems
Alternatively, pm me about private or commercial issues/questions.

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 05:11:39 AM »
Yeah, thats what it will be.

Got a hollow tube inside which didnt come out in the other photo I took.

It is screwed to the base under the battery with the snorkel bit facing down.

Anybody like to suggest if that is the best spot for it ... or somewhere else out of waters harm.

Sounds like it needs a low dust spot, rubber mounting etc... however there was plenty of dirt in my mount area and water and sand was also present.

Got to be a better spot, what do the Gurus think.

(will have to go back and try and waterproof the electricals or move them anyway)

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 06:06:30 AM »
Unless they have changed the position the air temp sensor is up in the front between the headlight and the instrument panel.
Having it buried in the battery box is hardly conducive to getting correct air temp readings.

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 09:18:46 AM »
Whatever it is I don't recognise it from my 2011 so suspect it's gubbins from a Gen 2 or 3. Could even be a flood detector for under the battery  :492: :492: :492:
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 12:03:26 PM »
I reckon it is the (ambient pre-filter) air pressure sensor, item 5 or 7 (the other probably the after filter air intake manifold one) :084:

https://www.worldoftriumph.com/partscatalog/catalog/listing/catalog/triumphmc/modelid/560047/block/100069429-0-2/
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 10:34:34 AM »
Hey thanks Stevie. That's what it is.

Thinking out aloud, it sits next to the main power plug UNDER the battery box assembly.

So logic tells me that if that plastic shell gets filled with water such that it doesnt drain out via the base hole (eg that is a big whole or river and ooops) then that  sensor will detect the water and it will snuff the ECU.

Now my logic would suggest, why isn't the power assembly and its 'life saver mate' higher up in the frame.

I only went exploring after reading about the poor guy who had his Tiger catch on fire recently on the way to work, most likely due to water in this area, just saying.
One of the more experienced Tiger guru's commented that this area/issue is well known to those who have been around a while.

So, if anyone out there has pondered the same worst case scenario and moved those items, then I am all ears.

In my defense this is the first bike that I have owned that has Fuel Injection and lots of weird thingys. Not a fan of thingys.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 11:37:26 AM »
I think the term worst case is probably appropriate here. I have ridden a Tiger through water at least up to the bottom of the battery compartment with no issues and realistically I wouldnt want to ride a 250+ kg bike (loaded) through any deeper water anyway. If it was deeper I would probably be walking it with assistance from others.
The drain hole in the bottom of the box is quite easy to keep open. Just stick a cable tie up into it and give it a jiggle each time you wash the bike.
The burning issue is really a non event. Of the tens of thousands of Tigers made since 2011 I have only heard of two that have burnt. Maybe there are others but there arent many. Compare that to the number of gear selector failures or starter motor failures and the chances of a Tiger burning are insignificant.
I do agree that the position of the 30A fuse is dumb for a bike with off road pretensions but there are plenty of equally dumb things on Tigers anyway. The position of the front indicators for example, the side stand that is a spear, the side stand that is designed so the bike rolls off it at the slightest chance, the main stand that on some bikes is impossible for a mere mortal to use and on others easy to use, the air filter that takes the best part of an hour and a substantial amount of disassembly to replace or clean. The list of dumb things goes on but hey we all love the bike despite its obvious flaws.

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 11:38:02 AM »
Yeah I hear you on all that and same, enjoying the bike.

I have already fixed or moved most of the stuff that you mentioned even to the point that I cut and modified the centre stand so that it is 'height adjustable' as I dropped the front ride height and fitted new dog bones. So the rear tyre only just gets off the ground when on centre but omg when I am touring with gear you grunt like a weight lifter in that first pull and jerk.

However a really good trick I picked up was to put a washer on the bottom mount for the side stand. So mine sits out a bit further for stability, important given its lowered.

Now that you say all that I was thinking of starting a thread to encourage people to list their problems and fixes. Yeah they are spread out through the Forum but maybe if we focus in one area there will be lots of interesting feedback for newbies. Plus I am a bit anal on my maintenance and mods.

The reason I am focused on this stuff is coz I have only had the bike 9mths and still learning and setting up, but in that time I have done some big trips so reliability, comfort and functionality is important... hunting down points of weakness is topical.

Recent Topics