Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Been out Tigering for 3hrs today hands got a bit chilly  (Read 475 times)

Offline cat10

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800 abs
Been out Tigering for 3hrs today hands got a bit chilly
« on: November 10, 2019, 08:55:13 PM »
Hi folks, been out on the Tiger this afternoon for 3hrs and my hands got a bit chilly , what do you think is the best solution....heated gloves, heated grips, hand guards, mitts...or stay at home in the warm.?

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
Re: Been out Tigering for 3hrs today hands got a bit chilly
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 09:03:29 PM »
Have a look at the Bark Buster Blizzard hand guards. Very easy to install at the beginning of winter and remove at the end. With them and grip heaters you can ride in summer gloves all year.

Offline petesear

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: XRT
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 09:55:56 PM »
What gloves do you wear?

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 10:11:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by petesear [+]
What gloves do you wear?

With the bike with the Blizzards fitted I use Held Sambias in winter.

Offline petesear

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: XRT
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 10:12:33 PM »
Sorry, my question was for the OP..

Offline Sputnik

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 11:28:43 PM »
First important point is that there is no right answer here as it is all horses for courses and what works for one person may not work for the next guy. My hands' ability to withstand cold weather has got progressively worse over the years and where I might have been ok for an hour in the cold 10 years ago it's more like 10 minutes now. The rest of me is usually ok, it's just my hands. That said, I ride all year round in all weather and heading off to work well below zero is pretty standard from now til March.

But here's my thoughts:
Heated grips: got the original Triumph ones on my 2013 bike. They're certainly not as hot as Oxford sport ones I had on my old bike. They add a bit of warmth that is welcome in Autumn when you are still in thinner gloves but are a bit limited. I've never suffered from cold palms and that is the only thing they really provide warmth to. I also find they tend to make you grip too hard.

Hand guards: I have the standard tiger ones. I thought I noticed a difference coming from my old bike which didn't have them but am not convinced they do a huge amount other than briefly slowing the wind chill effect. Can't decide if they keep rain off your gloves or just provide a ramp for the rain to jump onto your gloves from!

Mitts: Never tried them. Heard all sorts of good things but vanity and an unrealistic denial of my own advancing years means I can't bring myself to go down this route.

Heated gloves: Have revolutionised winter riding for me. They're expensive, bulky, the waterproofing could be better and a bit of a faff to plug yourself into. But they are the only thing to have really worked. When it's really cold my fingers still sometimes get a little bit cool but nothing like the painful numb misery I had before. Most of the time though you just get to ignore your hands and get on with riding.

Mine are Gerbing (XR12s?). I've had a few problems with them over the years but they have a lifetime guarantee for the electrics in the glove and Gerbing have replaced them 3 times without hassle. Now you could say that reflects on the quality but it is undoubtedly good customer service and after about 10 years of ownership I still have a pair of gloves that is only about 2 years old which has kind of justified the initial cost.

Offline pahiker

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XCx
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 12:28:06 AM »
I've found that layers work well. I have a pair of Seirus gloves which are advertised as the thinnest, but warmest gloves on the market and use them as liners inside regular ski gloves. It's a bit of bulk which takes getting used to, but works pretty good in combination with my Hippo Hands. I think heated glove liners would be your best bet.

Offline Little H

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRXLow
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 12:55:17 AM »
I have Keis heated gloves and vest and my Tiger has heated grips as well. The gloves heat around the fingers so you don't get the cold finger tips.

Offline applecorp

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XRT 2018
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 06:12:09 AM »
I'm with Sputnik, I've found the best single overall solution is heated gloves. I have the battery powered Gerbing XR-7 (7 volt) currently, they're a bit bulky as the battery is in the wrist but you get used to it and the warmth is so good. You'd want the wired version (12 volt) which is a bit more faff, if you need hotter gloves though.

Also not convinced that hand guards do much at all to keep the wind off.

Offline SpursSteve

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: T800 XRT
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2019, 07:34:08 AM »
I use Warm and Safe jacket liner which is amazing! Moving from my RT to the Tiger due to the position of the pillion grab handles(much further back on the Tiger) my wife wasn't comfortable so I went for the glove liners that Warm and safe do. I used to have the velcro Oxford heated grips attached to the pillion handles for her. Very easy to plug in and get into either my summer gloves and winter ones. Amazingly thin and warm all around the hand. Even on a low setting cold hands are a thing of the past........ well I cannot guarantee that as it's not that cold yet. I think it was as low as 7.5 yesterday? But I do know they can be turned up to very VERY hot! Straight plugged in they give 30% output which was too warm yesterday so I turned them down on the remote controller.
Worth a look I'd suggest.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch