Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: ABS sensor rubbing  (Read 482 times)

Offline xsrider

• Tiger Pro
  • Be seeing you.
  • Bike: 2014 Roadie ABS
ABS sensor rubbing
« on: November 11, 2019, 05:28:28 PM »
I had to get a flat tire repaired.  The rear tire was removed, a patch was put on. and the rear wheel put back on  I road home about 30 miles.  When I got home and pushed the Tiger into may garage, I heard metal on metal rubbing and squeaking.  I determined its the rear wheel ABS sensor rubbing on the sensor ring.  I checked the front ABS sensor and it's about 1mm away from the sensor ring.  The rear wheel does not spin as freely as it used to due to the friction of the ABS sensor rubbing on the sensor ring.  My question is, Is the rear wheel ABS sensor rubbing on the sensor ring a bad thing?  And how do I fix it? 

Offline The Albatross

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
Re: ABS sensor rubbing
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 05:42:20 PM »
Yes, that is a really bad thing. I had the same problem on the front after refitting the front wheel. If you are lucky the ABS sensor may not have been damaged but you need to refit the sensor. I packed out the retaining bolt with a small washer to set the right clearance (same as the front). If the rear wheel then spins freely with no rubbing of the sensor and no ABS fault displayed you will be good to go. But be prepared to replace the ABS sensor if you have any doubts on its condition, or if you have an ABS fault displayed.

Offline UncleGary

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 06:00:32 PM »
Before fitting a thin washer or 2 to the mounting screw to adjust the sensor, be sure that the wheel is centered properly using the little milled dots on the wheel mounting surface. If the wheel is skewed, the sensor won't be lined up properly. It is a common mistake when remounting the ABS sensor to assume that the washer goes under the head of the machine screw rather than positioned as a spacer.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 06:19:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by UncleGary [+]
It is a common mistake when remounting the ABS sensor to assume that the washer goes under the head of the machine screw rather than positioned as a spacer.

:0461: definitely a first check point. The packer washer can be 0.5, 1.0, 1.5 or 2.0mm thick. Clearance between disc and sensor must be between 0.1 and 1.5mm, torque for the fixing screw 9Nm.  :028:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline xsrider

• Tiger Pro
  • Be seeing you.
  • Bike: 2014 Roadie ABS
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 03:32:48 AM »
*Originally Posted by UncleGary [+]
Before fitting a thin washer or 2 to the mounting screw to adjust the sensor, be sure that the wheel is centered properly using the little milled dots on the wheel mounting surface. If the wheel is skewed, the sensor won't be lined up properly. It is a common mistake when remounting the ABS sensor to assume that the washer goes under the head of the machine screw rather than positioned as a spacer.

That was the problem.  The washer was under the head of the machine screw.  I relocated it to be a spacer. 

Recent Topics