Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Worn clutch on a 2018 with 10,000 miles  (Read 2031 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Bladerunner99

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 474
  • Bike: 2018 XCA
  • Location: Sydney NSW
Re: Worn clutch on a 2018 with 10,000 miles
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2019, 11:27:12 AM »
What oil have you got in the bike?
Ride to work. Work to ride

Offline phil_tiger800

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 12
  • Bike: Tiger 800xrx
  • Location: Hayling Island
Re: Worn clutch on a 2018 with 10,000 miles
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 05:21:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by JJM [+]
Clutch gone after 10,000 miles, seems a bit premature, it's an xrx road so no off roading, I do ride with a pillion a fair bit but wouldn't have thought it would affect it massively. Never had this issue with any other bike I've owned , in fact I had a 2016 tiger previously and that had 22000 on the clock before I sold it and never even had to adjust the clutch. Spoke to triumph in Watford and they said they would need to strip down to investigate to see if it was warranty issue or not. Call me a fortune teller but I think I know which way its going to go. Anyone else had similar issues with such low miles?
Thanks advance

Hi
My Tiger was three years old when the clutch over heated so badly the basket warped with the heat. I was on the Stella Alpina rally in northern Italy at the time. Pete Clarke, senior warranty co-ordinater at Triumph thought it may have been poor adjustment, poor quality engine oil or lack of servicing. As my service history was complete and the bike was seen by the main dealer two months before the failure, this did not satisfy me.
I have never had a clutch fail like that in over 40 years of riding. Triumph are not interested in any problems outside warranty in my experience. The clutch is NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE. Pete Clarke ....... get your facts right and take a real interest in the concerns of your customers 😊

Offline JJM

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 59
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRX
  • Location: England, Bushey
Re: Worn clutch on a 2018 with 10,000 miles
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2020, 06:27:02 PM »
Totally agree, Triumph quoted 850 to replace the clutch as they said the engine needs pushing forward (undoing engine bolts) to get to one of the bolts as the frame from 2017 has been modified.  Where the sections of frame were welded directly together there is now a piece of larger diameter tubing that the two pieces of frame sit in, this is welded making for a stronger join presumably, I ended up using third party garage using original parts, also had 12000 mile service  (valve check) all for 960 and they did it without pushing engine forward. Totally lost faith with Triumph I'm afraid

Offline phil_tiger800

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 12
  • Bike: Tiger 800xrx
  • Location: Hayling Island
Re: Worn clutch on a 2018 with 10,000 miles
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2020, 10:24:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by JJM [+]
Totally agree, Triumph quoted 850 to replace the clutch as they said the engine needs pushing forward (undoing engine bolts) to get to one of the bolts as the frame from 2017 has been modified.  Where the sections of frame were welded directly together there is now a piece of larger diameter tubing that the two pieces of frame sit in, this is welded making for a stronger join presumably, I ended up using third party garage using original parts, also had 12000 mile service  (valve check) all for 960 and they did it without pushing engine forward. Totally lost faith with Triumph I'm afraid

Sorry to hear that. Even when the bike is still under warranty I have had issues with Triumph. My ECU failed on a Daytona 955i and I had to pay to have the bike recovered to my nearest Triumph dealer. The dealer agreed to pay half of the recovery costs. Triumph refused saying I should of renewed my RAC membership in the second year of ownership. The fact their ECU failed seems to have passed them by!!

Offline Djairouks

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 734
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
  • Location: Neuchtel
Re: Worn clutch on a 2018 with 10,000 miles
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2020, 10:29:56 AM »
*Originally Posted by phil_tiger800 [+]
Sorry to hear that. Even when the bike is still under warranty I have had issues with Triumph. My ECU failed on a Daytona 955i and I had to pay to have the bike recovered to my nearest Triumph dealer. The dealer agreed to pay half of the recovery costs. Triumph refused saying I should of renewed my RAC membership in the second year of ownership. The fact their ECU failed seems to have passed them by!!

I empathize with your issues, but what motorcycle brand will tow your motorcycle for free, even if the repairs will be under warranty, at least in my country this is never going to happen.

Offline Zaphod

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 1032
  • Bike: 800XC, Fazer 600
Re: Worn clutch on a 2018 with 10,000 miles
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2020, 10:55:16 AM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
I empathize with your issues, but what motorcycle brand will tow your motorcycle for free, even if the repairs will be under warranty, at least in my country this is never going to happen.

Nor in the UK - if you haven't got breakdown cover then you're going to have to pay the recovery guy. And it won't be cheap.

Offline Stevie.P

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 3454
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
  • Location: Plymouth, UK
Re: Worn clutch on a 2018 with 10,000 miles
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2020, 11:18:20 AM »
I think it depends on your dealer as I certainly had my bike recovered while under the 12 month warranty but also recovered again at about 20 months, both times with failed Datatool alarm (3rd now fitted) and both times (stuck out and about) they immediately sent their man and van out to recover the bike back to the dealership and no mention of charges either time. :028:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!


Offline KildareMan

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 8701
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
  • Location: Naas Ireland
Re: Worn clutch on a 2018 with 10,000 miles
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2020, 12:03:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by phil_tiger800 [+]
Sorry to hear that. Even when the bike is still under warranty I have had issues with Triumph. My ECU failed on a Daytona 955i and I had to pay to have the bike recovered to my nearest Triumph dealer. The dealer agreed to pay half of the recovery costs. Triumph refused saying I should of renewed my RAC membership in the second year of ownership. The fact their ECU failed seems to have passed them by!!

Never heard of a manufacturer coving recovery as part of a warranty. Just not their problem. - statutory or otherwise.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline Zaphod

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 1032
  • Bike: 800XC, Fazer 600
Re: Worn clutch on a 2018 with 10,000 miles
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2020, 12:11:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
I think it depends on your dealer as I certainly had my bike recovered while under the 12 month warranty but also recovered again at about 20 months, both times with failed Datatool alarm (3rd now fitted) and both times (stuck out and about) they immediately sent their man and van out to recover the bike back to the dealership and no mention of charges either time. :028:

Guessing that you were not far away from the dealer when the failures occurred? In the first 12,you would have had the recovery anyway, so they'd have told you to use that if a long way.

They can do what they like, to keep a customer happy - but if you'd been in Scotland they wouldn't have done it, I bet!

Offline Stevie.P

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 3454
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
  • Location: Plymouth, UK
Re: Worn clutch on a 2018 with 10,000 miles
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2020, 12:26:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by Zaphod [+]
Guessing that you were not far away from the dealer when the failures occurred?

Yes only about 9 or 10 miles from dealer (opposite side of the city) on both occasions but still pleased that as their van and man wasn't out on another task they despatched him to me straight away while I stayed with the bike.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!


 


Recent Topics


winded-staunch