Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Challenging off road results  (Read 721 times)

Online kokkios

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2016 Tiger800XRT
Challenging off road results
« on: November 23, 2019, 09:36:17 AM »
Well i thought it seemed like a good idea to off road a bit. This is the route i took https://goo.gl/maps/2qfL2ng2xoC9ebGN9

It's only 6K one way downhill and the return quite more challenging and uphill. More on that later. I knew it was difficult because every summer there are a few accidents (some fatal) primarily from overexcited tourists on rented quads going off the road and falling many meters down the cliffs.

Last winter was quite heavy for our standards and as a result there were a lot of places where the jeep road washed away creating big ruts and holes and bringing to the surface big rocks. In some places there was loose gravel and in others puddles of water and mud. I had the top box and panniers on as i was planning to spend the night in the area. Bike has Dunlop Traismart Max tires on with 6000 miles on them, a 90-10% tyre. 

At one point going downhill from the highest point of the route through loose gravel i felt the back tyre slipping all over the place with a big drop to my right. I knew i put myself in a difficult position.

When i reached the place i wanted to go i took a picture gathered up some courage u turned and started going back uphill. Apart from the rocks, the gravel, the ruts and the mud what made it even more difficult was the tourists hiking. During the 2 very hilly ascents through the destroyed jeep road i just committed to it gave it gas and hoped for the best. It jumped, it slipped, it rattled, it nearly stalled (gearing issue?) but finally soared to the top. It was very intense but i have to say i scared myself .

Moral of the story i surely pushed my limits if not that of the bike's. I was so happy i didnt fall breaking something in the process and damaging the bike. Next time i will go there i will be on an enduro bike.

AFTERMATH:
1.5 hour washing to get all of the mud off but more importantly...
all the rattling caused a screw to fall from my Puig screen and i lost a rubber bushing from the carrier plate of the top box. Please see pics Is it easy to find replacement for both?

Thank you

Online PapaTom

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Blue XRx (Gen2)
Re: Challenging off road results
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 11:12:53 AM »
Well done.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

:031:

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 11:43:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by kokkios [+]
and i lost a rubber bushing from the carrier plate of the top box. Please see pics Is it easy to find replacement for both?

The topbox plate rubbers are available search for Givi Z2710 such as below link. :028:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xgivi+.TRS0&_nkw=givi+Z2710&_sacat=0

or from Triumph, item 8.
https://www.worldoftriumph.com/partscatalog/catalog/listing/catalog/triumphmc/modelid/560136/block/100070347-0-2/
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 11:46:45 AM by Stevie.P »
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Online kokkios

• Tiger Master
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 01:05:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]

Perfect! Thanks a lot Stevie!
Now have to see what i am going to do about the Puig screw and little plug that goes there

Online kokkios

• Tiger Master
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 03:52:47 PM »
Soooo hunting for the right side windscreen screw assembly did not bring any results. Still riding without it and the windscreen wobbles at higher speeds.

This is the screen and the parts i am missing are numbers 9,6,7,15
https://puig.tv/uploads/products/600019/5652/mounting-instructions.pdf

Anyone knows if there is a Puig screw kit for the particular screen? If yes maybe where i can get it? Searched in different online places and no luck

Thanks!

Online Phones

• Tiger Member
  • Old age don't stop you riding it just hurts
  • Bike: Black 800xc
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 04:50:40 PM »
For a quick fix stop wobble  get a rubber grommet to fit hole in screen a M6 x20 counter sunk bolt , Both you should be able to get from any AUTO Shop.

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 07:11:28 AM »
Nicely done, I like to see some XRT owners are not affraid to go off-road, because of the different wheels, it is capable with good tyres to do this kind off stuff !

However from my own personal experience I would tell you to ditch the top box, especially in hill climbs it will make your life much easier, the weight back of a full top box is okay on the road but not so great off-road, I don't even think on my 2019 XRT the shock at max preload, would handle so well with a full box.

If I need more stuff than fits in panniers, I have either a 32l Ortlieb bag, or a huge 82l Enduristan Tornado XL, but for really off-road I go with my Mosko Reckless 80l system, these bags are beasts I had once a slide, with my Africa twin in the dirt at a good pace and they had no sign of the fall.
All these go on the passenger seat, so the rear shock will be less stressed by the shorter leverage, so it will do it's job with more ease and you might feel a big difference.

I always have thread block when I travel, if screw are getting loose like for the windscreen, you put a dab and then you're good to go.

Online kokkios

• Tiger Master
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 02:24:21 PM »
To be honest i think it was too much especially with those 3/4 worn Trailsmart tyres.

I dont have pictures of the gnarly stuff but next time when i am in the area i will try to take a few for you guys to see. I did want to take some photos of the terrain but i was afraid if i had stopped at the foot of the hill before going up it would bend my courage :)

As for the top box i think you might be right. Makes sense after 3 shredded rubber plugs. Will be ordering an SW Motech 350 tail bag very soon

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 03:06:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by kokkios [+]
To be honest i think it was too much especially with those 3/4 worn Trailsmart tyres.

I dont have pictures of the gnarly stuff but next time when i am in the area i will try to take a few for you guys to see. I did want to take some photos of the terrain but i was afraid if i had stopped at the foot of the hill before going up it would bend my courage :)

As for the top box i think you might be right. Makes sense after 3 shredded rubber plugs. Will be ordering an SW Motech 350 tail bag very soon

Ahhh okay if these pictures are nothing tough, then yeah maybe tires were not enough.

In my searches for the best bags, I had rulled out the SW motech, they are okay but too many things attached and not such thick materials, in my experience that makes for too many rupture points.

If you'll be using these bags very often, then I'd tell you to buy either brand I talked about, the Enduristan was designed by KTM riders in Switzerland, that never had good enough bags... So they are damn durable and nice thing is the inside is simply red, not black which allows you to really see what's inside !

Offline Neogas

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 05:00:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
Ahhh okay if these pictures are nothing tough, then yeah maybe tires were not enough.

In my searches for the best bags, I had rulled out the SW motech, they are okay but too many things attached and not such thick materials, in my experience that makes for too many rupture points.

If you'll be using these bags very often, then I'd tell you to buy either brand I talked about, the Enduristan was designed by KTM riders in Switzerland, that never had good enough bags... So they are damn durable and nice thing is the inside is simply red, not black which allows you to really see what's inside !

Givi have launched some new soft bags that look like they may work with the OEM adventure attachment points. Might be worth finding out more.

https://www.cyclenews.com/2019/10/article/givi-gravel-t-grt709-35-liter-saddlebags-review/

https://www.givi.it/givi-products/soft-bags/saddle-bags/grt709-canyon
"Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly."
― Anonymous

Recent Topics