Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rain getting into electrics?  (Read 397 times)

Offline Greenjumper42

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2016 Tiger XRT
Rain getting into electrics?
« on: November 28, 2019, 09:02:49 PM »
Hi guys, my first post on this forum. I just bought a 2016 tiger 800 xrt and have been using it regularly for commuting. The first week of commuting (100 miles a day) was going fine until in heavy rain, in the outside lane of the M2 the cruise control suddenly turned off, the Speedo read 0, the engine warning, oil warning and tyre pressure warning lights all came on at the same time and my waterproof trousers suddenly went brown. I pulled into a layby and checked it over but couldn't see anything wrong, turned the engine off and then on again and everything seemed to be fine. After that occasion it's been good as gold until yesterday (three weeks after) when the same thing happened as I was setting off for home. This time I kept riding and after about a minute the lights turned off and the speedo started being a speedo again. It had another brief flicker about ten minutes later but then was fine.
So the only link I can see between the two occasions is that I'd been riding in heavy rain the first time and the bike had been sat in the rain all day before I headed off the second time, so I wonder wether rain is getting in somewhere and shorting something out. I'm not overly concerned about wether it's safe to ride; other than the Speedo tripping out the cruise control it all seems pretty innocuous, it's just a little disconcerting when the whole dash lights up like a Christmas tree.

The TL:DR version, has anyone had problems with 2016 tiger XRT electrics getting wet and causing gremlins? If so, where was it getting in and what was your fix?

Offline RaglandT

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800XC / 1200XRT
Re: Rain getting into electrics?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 09:31:22 PM »
Electrics act up like that with charging issues - weak battery, stator/rectifier charging issues. etc.  I'd check your battery to make sure it is accepting and holding a full charge.  Shouldn't be a stator/regulator issue given the age of the bike but just a simple check of voltage across battery will verify.

Offline Greenjumper42

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 10:00:27 PM »
 :480:
*Originally Posted by RaglandT [+]
Electrics act up like that with charging issues - weak battery, stator/rectifier charging issues. etc.  I'd check your battery to make sure it is accepting and holding a full charge.  Shouldn't be a stator/regulator issue given the age of the bike but just a simple check of voltage across battery will verify.

That's an interesting point, I did have the heated grips, seat and the spotlights on at the same time, that added to the cold weather could make the battery a bit weak for a while after starting. Definitely worth a look though, thanks!

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 10:43:51 PM »
Check battery connections, main fuse, and starter solenoid connections. They may be corroded.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 11:29:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Greenjumper42 [+]
The TL:DR version, has anyone had problems with 2016 tiger XRT electrics getting wet and causing gremlins? If so, where was it getting in and what was your fix?
Firstly sorry to hear about the issues but they are not normal on Tigers.
I have a 2016 XRX that has been used for days at a time in torrential rain and has also been ridden in falling snow, hail, sleet and temps between 1C and 45C. Never had any issues like you describe.

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 11:03:15 AM »
Side stand switch? Cause all sorts of problems.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Greenjumper42

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 07:13:43 PM »
So I think RaglandT had it right, I've been a bit more sparing with electrical farkles shortly after takeoff and I've not had any electrical issues since. I wonder if the time spent in the dealership had left the battery undercharged, and having them on all the time was preventing it from fully recharging. Maybe. Anyway, it's running fine now, but thank you all for your replies! Great to know there's some well informed folks in these waters!

Recent Topics

winded-staunch