Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Are crash bars really needed?  (Read 614 times)

Offline applecorp

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XRT 2018
Are crash bars really needed?
« on: December 02, 2019, 03:15:28 PM »
I have some on my XRT that the previous owner fitted, these to be precise:

https://europe.outbackmotortek.com/product/crash-bars-triumph-tiger-800/

At first I thought it can't hurt to have them, nice free addition to my purchase. But lately I'm thinking do I really need them, I don't go off road, they look pretty ugly and at 6kg it would be nice to shave some weight off the bike along with changing the exhaust I plan to do to further lighten the load.

Do you guys have them, are they a must?

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Re: Are crash bars really needed?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 03:26:58 PM »
No, by no means a must have

I have them so that I don't have to do all the insurance paperwork after a small tumble
The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline RDH

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: roadie in white
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 03:33:14 PM »
I would not say they are a must. I have them and have dropped the bike twice in 6 years, both in car park situations when I lost my footing whilst manoeuvring. Some scratches on the bars but no other damage, so you could say they were beneficial for low speed stuff but at higher speed, the bars could help the bike slide and protect bits as they are designed, but not every crash ends with the bike sliding on its side. Also, the bars could hook up on something and barrel roll it. I will not be having any fitted on my next bike (Tiger 900, hopefully).

Offline applecorp

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XRT 2018
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 04:02:19 PM »
Thanks guys, I'll probably look at removing them at the weekend then. 

That said probably easier said than done. I'm assuming I need the OEM bolts, which the previous owner (person who fitted them) would have kept?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 04:09:37 PM by applecorp »

Offline ZShyster

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 13 Trophy 15 TEX
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 05:24:55 PM »
Applecorp,

I do not have a Tiger 800 yet, however, I just traded my 2015 Tiger Explorer 1200 XC which had SW Motech crash bars.  In the time I owned the bike it went down 3 times, once coming off a lift table, once turning into tight stopped traffic and once a low side fall on a logging mountain road.  Each time the crash bars saved the bike and all of those expensive parts. The only exceptions were off the lift table the shifter toe piece and the clutch levers broke (both later replaced with foldables), and the low side fall my right leg broke.  That was the only damage and the bike was fine.  A little black spray paint and the crash bars looked like new again.

Another item I found valuable was the T-rex Racing pannier protection bars for my Explorer which protected my panniers in the last event.

My Triumph Trophy has crash bars, also with a couple scratches.

If it was me and they were already on the bike, I would not remove them.

Just a few thoughts from an old man.

Ride Safe
ZShyster

Offline Ponch101

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800Xrx Low
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 06:37:27 PM »
Hi Applecorp,
Reading your post, I would say leave them on, better to be safe than sorry. Hope you don't mind my remarks, Safe riding. Ponch101

Offline Dandy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: XCX 2019
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 07:38:26 PM »
I agree. :152:

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: White 800 Roadie
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 07:59:35 PM »
What's the point in removing them? Don't think the extra weight has any impact on the bike's handling. So if those bars prevent major damage in one minor drop you'd be sorry if you had removed them. I put mine on in 2017 when Triumph chucked them out with a major discount and I really like the look of them on the bike and I hope if they ever are put to a test they will protect me or the bike.
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 08:34:57 PM »
Are crash bars really needed?

You could ask exactly the same question about insurance or crash helmets.

Online chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 09:33:20 PM »
....and take the bumpers off your car, store them on the shelf with your helmet and crash bars. Your shelf will be safe then.
 :169:
10 opinions for every question here, but...if you've got them, use them. Your shelf won't need them but you will--just when you think you won't.
 :038:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 09:41:10 PM by chuckxc »
Laterally unstable unless moving.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch