Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Are crash bars really needed?  (Read 612 times)

Online ColinXCX

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Tiger XCX
Re: Are crash bars really needed?
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 09:54:51 PM »
They have saved me twice, stationary mishaps, slight marks on the crash bars and thats all.

Offline 93TigerBill

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2019, 05:08:21 AM »
Keep 'em on.
Just after sunset on Sunday, just did 850 km, propped after a hesitant driver at a T-intersection, left foot on some gravel, down it went on LHS.  Drop sensor stopped the engine.
Bugger.
Scratch on Triumph lower engine bars, scratch on Storm guards over Barkbusters, scratch on LHS lower pelican-type pannier.
Lifted with assistance, started up and rode off home.

As has been said, they're insurance.
'93 Tiger 885; '12 Tiger 800XC
IBA #45911; FarRider #89

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2019, 07:55:58 AM »
My bars on the Africa twin were mandatory, because it was heavy and high for me, still scratched the plastics and bend next to the covers, however on the XRT it's so much lighter and lower that I don't feel I need them, also I have never dropped any other bike than the AT, all my lower bikes are easier, but I'm also only 37 and in good shape, so I can catch the bike maybe not your case !?

To me if you'd be doing lots of off-roading or the bike is big and heavy for you, so meaning you might drop it I would keep them, however the argument of the bike sliding on the road... not many bars or crash bungs will make much difference in a proper crash, the frame can be totalled anyway from the impact.
I know it's not directly comparable, but I always remember my friend with his CBR 600, that went down at around 80Kmh and the minute the crash bung hit and obstacle, he saw his bike sommersault into oblivion wrecking it completely.

Everything is a compromise in life, here in Switzerland many argue if you don't off-road, why pay 400-600 for crash bars when allready paying a crazy expensive insurance fee, any damage will be sorted with these full insurances we have, but I don't know how your insurances work in UK.

Online steve@lincs

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2019, 01:16:27 PM »
I have Puig crash bars on my 2013 XC and they have been useful protection in stationary situations, so mine are deck staying. My point for responding  is that, I believe, most makes are secured onto the engine and I fear that this may cause more harm than good in a serious or high speed tumble.  Then again, if it's so bad there would be other things to worry about, so as I said, mine are staying.
PS and waterproofs stored in a boxed attached the them too!

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2019, 05:17:04 AM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
Everything is a compromise in life, here in Switzerland many argue if you don't off-road, why pay 400-600 for crash bars when allready paying a crazy expensive insurance fee, any damage will be sorted with these full insurances we have, but I don't know how your insurances work in UK.

In a big crash that is very correct. All crash bars often do is increase the insurance companies return when they sell the wreck as a write off after they have paid out on it. In the case of small or medium drops with off roading or simply on the driveway over a couple of years it would not be inconceivable for crash bars to pay for themselves in savings on replacements for things like indicators or plastics.

This is my Altrider  bar after the bike slid down the road at 90kph then high sided. The bar on the other side looked the same.

The bike was written off and would have been without the bars but with the bars they protected enough that I was actually able to ride the bike about 30 km home from a deserted road at mid night. I doubt I would have been able to do that without the bars so they did have some benefit.

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2019, 06:22:48 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
In a big crash that is very correct. All crash bars often do is increase the insurance companies return when they sell the wreck as a write off after they have paid out on it. In the case of small or medium drops with off roading or simply on the driveway over a couple of years it would not be inconceivable for crash bars to pay for themselves in savings on replacements for things like indicators or plastics.

This is my Altrider  bar after the bike slid down the road at 90kph then high sided. The bar on the other side looked the same.

The bike was written off and would have been without the bars but with the bars they protected enough that I was actually able to ride the bike about 30 km home from a deserted road at mid night. I doubt I would have been able to do that without the bars so they did have some benefit.

Oh sure they do protect your motorcycle not denying that, but it's always a compromise, on my Africa twin my only dirt drop, still scratched all the fairing on one side, nicked the turn indicator and the bars needed repainting, also nicked the swingarm with a rock.
So still needed to work on the plastics and change the indicator, then you add the price of the bars and applying anti rust with repainting, if you fall frequently then overall the cost is maybe not in favor of the bars, against the insurance fee, these will need replacing after 5-6 falls they'll bend too far to be good. It might seem counter intuitive but cost wise they aren't always so good, but yes the upside is that as you said it might make that you can ride back home, as without the bike might be unable to.
But that is really for off roaders, on pavement no drop ever damaged the bike, so the bars did their job, but crash bungs would have too and without bars the insurance would replace fairings if cracked rather than scratched anyway, paying a small fee.

That's the compromise to me, if you hardly ever off-road, can comfortably flat foot on the bike, have good boots that don't slip (that makes a huge difference), then I've never dropped another bike in my life than the Honda, because I could barely flat foot with my comfort seat and it was much more top heavy, when it went maybe 30 there was no way I could catch her.
Now with the tiger I don't have all these issues, which is why I'm not sure I need the bars to stay on the road mainly, I've noticed on that the front indicators, are even stiffer and more exposed, so I think I'll switch to flush indicators, because even with bars they would break in a fall, then I might just add crash bungs or not will see.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 06:31:28 AM by Djairouks »

Recent Topics

winded-staunch