Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New 2020 Tiger 900 Rally & GT launch  (Read 40380 times)

Offline Phurtim

• Tiger Member
Re: New 2020 Tiger 900 Rally & GT launch
« Reply #260 on: February 13, 2020, 09:42:52 AM »
*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]
Would a dry sump not have improved ground clearance, abait with added weight?
It would by why do that, which requires as you say more weight, and complication too with the oil lines, when the same goal can be achieved by a reduced sump with the advantages of higher ground clearance and less oil? I don't see any disadvantage of a smaller sump, assuming that Triumph have ensured that the oil supply is adequate for all conditions which they must have (I hope!).
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 09:45:28 AM by Phurtim »

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #261 on: February 13, 2020, 09:50:16 AM »
*Originally Posted by Phurtim [+]
Triumph quote 55.4mpg (5.2l/100 km) but as we all know, manufacturers' figures bear little relation to real world usage so expect something worse than this.

On my specs there's a 0.5l/100km difference, so basically if you calculate the 1l increase is irrelevant, using triumph numbers the new would make 20km less, but as you said usually these numbers are not even realistic, so you can question the point to upgrade and have effectively less mileage !

As for the sump, Honda did something in between dry and wet on the Africa twin to increase clearance.
But I question the reality of this decrease of sump, simply because in the motobob video the triumph rep say 5kg decrease on the model, then precises 2.5kg on the drive train, then there's the rear aluminum frame and your left with not much, I'm not convinced it's as big as they pretend, it's more marketing I think.

Offline Phurtim

• Tiger Member
« Reply #262 on: February 13, 2020, 10:05:39 AM »
I think you're correct that it looks like the tank range of the 900 is a little less than the 800. That wouldn't put me off buying one though because fuel consumption is relatively unimportant for me as purely a leisure rider, compared with all the other features one considers on a bike. I suspect that it's not the most important point for most bikers though some of course are concerned with it.

I'm happy with my 2019 xrt but might consider changing if the 900GTP is much better. That needs a decent test ride, not just reading reviews though they are helpful.

As for the sump, reducing it was not about weight saving from what I understand, it was only about increasing ground clearance which they have achieved. There will be a minor weight saving with the reduced oil capacity but that was not the aim of doing it. As I said earlier, I can't see any disadvantages of this, it's all positive I think.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 10:09:22 AM by Phurtim »

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
« Reply #263 on: February 13, 2020, 10:10:46 AM »
I think you're correct that it looks like the tank range of the 900 is a little less than the 800. That wouldn't put me off buying one though because fuel consumption is relatively unimportant to me, compared with all the other features one considers on a bike. I'm happy with my 2019 xrt but might consider changing if the 900GTP is much better. That needs a decent test ride, not just reading reviews.

As for the sump, reducing it was not about weight saving from what I understand, it was only about increasing ground clearance which they have achieved. There will be a minor weight saving with the reduced oil capacity but that was not the aim of doing it. As I said earlier, I can't see any disadvantages of this, it's all positive I think.

For me as a Europe traveler, I need at least 400km range, which I manage on my xrt, but sure everyone has different needs.

Yes I know the sump wasn't directly for weight savings, but they did talk a lot about the cog moving the engine etc, also the sump to improve the bike, that's where I question if that's so relevant in real life, or just marketing.

Offline Phurtim

• Tiger Member
« Reply #264 on: February 13, 2020, 10:18:27 AM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
...Yes I know the sump wasn't directly for weight savings, but they did talk a lot about the cog moving the engine etc, also the sump to improve the bike, that's where I question if that's so relevant in real life, or just marketing.

I don't think that increasing ground clearance whilst at the same time lowering cog is just marketing. It must have some advantage in handling particularly on dirt but also on the road too. I know manufacturers do many things for marketing purposes but this modification makes actual sense to me. What's not to like?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 10:22:07 AM by Phurtim »

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
« Reply #265 on: February 13, 2020, 10:24:53 AM »
I don't think that increasing ground clearance whilst at the same time lowering cog is just marketing. It must have some advantage in handling particularly on dirt but also on the road too. There are no downsides to it.

No I mean the question is not if the laws of physics apply or not, sure it's a theoretical improvement, but can you actually feel it and really benefit, maybe on extreme dirt riding yes, otherwise I'm skeptical.
I have a friend who owned the RSV 4 with the engine able to move in the frame, to adjust the cog and he was pretty good at racing, he told me he never really felt much advantage changing that, for the common mortals most little things like this are often irrelevant.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #266 on: February 13, 2020, 03:20:51 PM »
Looking like they've addressed the low 6th gear issue that concerned some of us. So the 900 is perfection for me now, with the rear subframe/pillion peg hangers & decent brakes. The build quality is up with the Tiger Sport. Just imo of course.

800 top gear 100mph = 7230

900 top gear 100mph = 6450
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline applecorp

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800 XRT 2018
« Reply #267 on: February 13, 2020, 03:48:06 PM »
What would the rpm's be at a more usual 70mph?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 03:49:40 PM by applecorp »

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #268 on: February 13, 2020, 03:56:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by applecorp [+]

70% of what it would at 100mph.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline sprint

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #269 on: February 13, 2020, 04:09:18 PM »
 :183:
*Originally Posted by applecorp [+]

Approx 4500 rpm.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch