Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New 2020 Tiger 900 Rally & GT launch  (Read 40301 times)

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
Re: New 2020 Tiger 900 Rally & GT launch
« Reply #390 on: May 01, 2020, 10:43:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by Phurtim [+]
I'd never heard of the Cobrra so checked it out. It's a manual chain oiler similar to others I've seen before where you give them a shot every so often. The manual pressuriser looks quite nice on the bike as Kildare's pic shows.

Here's the UK supplier and details:

https://www.cobrra.co.uk/nemo-2/

About 85 with postage.

Personally I don't use any chain oiler but don't do a high mileage. If I did, I'd probably consider one.

As many have commented round here, the 800XRT is impossible to get on the centre stand for chain cleaning and oiling etc. without first backing the rear wheel on to a bit of wood to raise it. It appears from reviews that the 900GTP has solved this problem though I have yet to try one. With this improvement, if true, and all the other new features like the quickshifter etc. it looks very much to me like they have made an already superb bike in the 800XRT into an even better one with its successor.

Even in daily rainy commutes, you can make sure your chain never gets dry, so it's pretty invaluable not only for travelling
in my opinion, I can tell you from my calculation a 9 buck oil bottle 1l, will be good to do 20'000km, now look at the price of
spray lubricant cans for 20'000Km this makes a lot of sense overall.

As I have been saying many times but people do not seem to read, the rear shock spring on 2018 XRT models is undersprung
and SAG is too high out of the box, I am only 74Kg and I need 24 clicks on the preload, which consequently lifts the rear, making it okay to put on the center stand.

The 900 GTP shock is electronic so that's another story alltogether, you can't really compare without knowing the setting.

I know I'm happy to leave the 5Kg stand behind, even saw a pro off-roader saying you should never do serious off-road
with one, as on extreme suspension compressions it can touche the ground, and I Believe him last duo ride I did, I leaned far on a left turn, the stand foot push leg thingy scraping the pavement...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 10:58:05 AM by Djairouks »

Offline Phurtim

• Tiger Member
« Reply #391 on: May 01, 2020, 11:31:03 AM »
Yes I read about your accident. Hope everything is okay with yourself and the bike repair.

I'm about 70kg and 172cm. My bike is a 2019 XRT, the latest model before the 900 came out. I never go off road so having a centre stand is not a problem for me in that respect and I find a CS useful for chain maintenance and don't mind its weight. Provided I can get the bike up on it!

What you say about increasing the rear preload to ease CS use is interesting. I've left it as delivered new because it seems fine for riding, I'm solo only, and I don't want to mess with it just to ease occasional CS usage, so if I try this it would have to be primarily to improve the ride and not to facilitate CS use.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 11:36:40 AM by Phurtim »

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #392 on: May 01, 2020, 11:45:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by Phurtim [+]
Yes I read about your accident. Hope everything is okay with yourself and the bike repair.

I'm about 70kg and 172cm. My bike is a 2019 XRT, the latest model before the 900 came out. I never go off road so having a centre stand is not a problem for me in that respect and I find a CS useful for chain maintenance and don't mind its weight. Provided I can get the bike up on it!

What you say about increasing the rear preload to ease CS use is interesting. I don't want to do that just for the occasional CS usage, so if I try this it would have to be primarily to improve the ride and not to facilitate CS use.

Maybe I didn't explain well enough, you are right now riding with wrong settings, because that's the main point of preload,
to have the suspension able to have enough travel and keeping the geometry correct, so you will improve rideability
setting the SAG, I'm baffled still today some 30 years riders or more have no clue about this, it is the first setting a rider
needs to do on any bike.

You being just 4Kg lighter than me, I can predict you'll still need about 20 clicks in preload and mine as standard was set at
4 clicks instead of 24, so imagine how the suspension travel was wasted and bike stability compromised !

PM me if you need more info, don't want to go too much off topic !

Thanks I wasn't hurt so just waiting the dealership to rebuild my Tiger, but they are flooded by work unfortunately.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 11:49:07 AM by Djairouks »

Offline Colinhitch

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
« Reply #393 on: June 09, 2020, 07:19:09 AM »
Picked up my Rally Pro yesterday, happy days.  Glad I ordered it when I did in March as the delivery time for a khaki green rally pro is now December!  600 mile service booked in for next Monday so happy miles ahead.

Offline Q

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XCA
« Reply #394 on: June 09, 2020, 09:03:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by Colinhitch [+]
Picked up my Rally Pro yesterday, happy days.  Glad I ordered it when I did in March as the delivery time for a khaki green rally pro is now December!  600 mile service booked in for next Monday so happy miles ahead.

that white frame looks magic :-)

miles and miles of smiles to you
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Offline rainbow-walker

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Ducati
« Reply #395 on: June 09, 2020, 03:47:47 PM »
Looks great, also got my green one last Friday after ordering it on the 1st Feb.  Also ordered black boxes which look good, although my panniers were on back order.

Booked in for run in Service on Friday, did 500 miles at the weekend in the driving rain, and it was perfect. Only issue is the quickshift packed up yesterday when I did a quick 50 miles, but hopefully an easy fix on Friday. 

Can't think of anything I dislike about it, few tingles through the bars but nothing serious.  Im used to a sportsbike (Duc 899) so having a sit up position, cruise & heated grips/seat is luxury and easy to adjust/release your grip on the bars. Oh, cleaning it is a nightmare :D .

RBW.

*Originally Posted by Colinhitch [+]

Recent Topics

winded-staunch