Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New 2020 Tiger 900 Rally & GT launch  (Read 3681 times)

sms124, Northern, Wullie, Kev.L, Spider, Devon Rider, migueless, K1W1, miconone, julianhj, T800XC and 26 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline souperdoo

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Member
  • Bike: KLR650 ;^)
Re: New 2020 Tiger 900 Rally & GT launch
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2019, 09:06:57 PM »
A bit of help, perhaps translating into Merkun.

What I see on the spec sheets is that the 800 and 900 both make 79Kw and the 900 is up on torque by 8Nn. The peak RPM are different.

Irrespective of the verbiage in press releases and hyperbole, I expected the power number for the 900 to be 10% greater than the 800 number.

Speaking Merkun English, the 800 makes 95hp; I expected to see the 900 making 100hp. As ever, I reserve the right to be wrong.

I am new to the Triumph scene, so bear with me if I am missing something obvious.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2019, 09:43:18 PM »
But on their website if you look in detail, I really Don't understand the point of Euro5, the Euro 4 800 is said to make 107gr/Km of Co2 but the Euro 5 900 makes 119gr/Km, so also a 10% increase !?

Weren't these supposed to pollute less, that seems rather dumb !

Motorcycles don't have a CO2 limit under Euro 5.

Euro 5 concentrates on reduced Carbon Monoxide, Hydrocarbons, and Nitrogen oxides levels, plus a newly introduced particulate matter limit. Importantly, bikes have to be compliant with the Euro 5 requirements over it's lifetime, which is why OBD2 (on-board diagnostic system) was added.

Will be interesting down the road when engines start to wear out.
Need Support ? Post issues in this section: Forum Help / Issues / Problems
Alternatively, pm me about private or commercial issues/questions.

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2019, 09:50:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by souperdoo [+]
Speaking Merkun English, the 800 makes 95hp; I expected to see the 900 making 100hp. As ever, I reserve the right to be wrong.

From what I can see the 900 makes the same peak hp as the 800 but more torque. Apparently there is more power available than the 800 in the lower rev range. I guess the validity of the press release statement will be tested on a dyno by somebody eventually.
I'm really surprised about the 95hp figure. For marketing reasons to keep up with the competition if for no other I expected a claimed 100+ hp.
Of course I may be wrong I only speak Kiwi and 'stralian (with a kiwi accent).  :001:

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2019, 09:57:24 PM »
Why on earth does anybody need dual tachometers on one display?

Offline souperdoo

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Member
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2019, 10:01:07 PM »
I think we're on the same page in having expected to see a 100hp figure, no matter whether we speak 'stralian, Queen's, or Merkun English.

Perhaps Boris has made off with our expected ponies and will be returning them soon.

Offline souperdoo

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Member
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2019, 10:09:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
Why on earth does anybody need dual tachometers on one display?

Based on some of the press gibberish, I'd not be surprised to see three.

credit to advpulse:

"...all-new higher performance 900cc engine has a unique 1, 3, 2 firing order for greater character and feel. The result is more feedback from the engine to the rider, an incredibly distinctive engine sound..."

Coming from a background where the firing order is either 1,1,1 or 1,2,1,2 I am a bit perplexed at this firing order thing. My first thought is that the crank journals would be 120 degrees apart and that they would be fired in a manner that creates the greatest balance and power delivery, but perhaps there's more to it. ;^)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 10:12:27 PM by souperdoo »

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2019, 11:13:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by souperdoo [+]
...but perhaps there's more to it.
No doubt.
The way I see it -- it's, pretty much, a new engine: larger cylinder bores (same stroke), slightly higher comp. ratio, and different firing order.
All are set to offer a different engine experience from the old 800.
And, probably more power delivered differently?
The new firing order could be the result of going from the 120*, cross-plane, even-firing, firing order to something-like the old Laverda Jota used -- 180*, flat-plane, crank throws which give (something-like) 4 cyl. minus one running.
(or, it could be something even different?)

The interesting spec. I see:
"FRONT TIRE:   STD/GT 100/90-19"
What do Triumph know (that many on this forum don't)?

"Working on a motorcycle, working well, caring, is to become part of a process, to achieve an inner peace of mind.
The motorcycle is primarily a mental phenomenon."
Robert M. Pirsig

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2019, 11:53:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]
The interesting spec. I see:
"FRONT TIRE:   STD/GT 100/90-19"
What do Triumph know (that many on this forum don't)?

I'm sure that they are cheaper for Triumph to buy as OEM tyres than 110/80 x 19 radials.
Cross ply tyres also have better resistance to sidewall punctures than radials so I guess for a bike advertised by the manufacturer as being suitable to ride on all roads (sealed and unsealed) there is an argument to fit tyres with better resistance to the sort of punctures that night occur on unsealed roads. I can't say that I have ever had a sidewall puncture on any bike that I have owned anyway and the Tiger comes with a radial rear so perhaps the cost argument is actually the more relevant one as it invariably is with Triumph.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 12:07:57 AM by K1W1 »

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2019, 01:42:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
I'm sure that they are cheaper for Triumph to buy as OEM tyres than 110/80 x 19 radials.
Cheaper tires -- really?
On a bike costing so many thousands of $$$?
Especially when Triumph, generally & significantly, overhauled / redesigned the existing 800 with, what seems to be, a 'cost be damned' approach.  :187:
"Working on a motorcycle, working well, caring, is to become part of a process, to achieve an inner peace of mind.
The motorcycle is primarily a mental phenomenon."
Robert M. Pirsig

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2019, 05:09:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]
Cheaper tires -- really?

Every cent makes a difference as far as the bean counters are concerned.
Almost every manufacturer goes cheap on OEM tyres because they know that tyres for motorcyclists are often a very personal and in a lot of cases will be swapped over before the bike even leaves the showroom. From what I can see Triumph have persisted with their Pirelli relationship.

Recent Topics