Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New 2020 Tiger 900 Rally & GT launch  (Read 38084 times)

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
Re: New 2020 Tiger 900 Rally & GT launch
« Reply #150 on: December 10, 2019, 10:11:59 PM »
IDK if Triumph suggests a spoke maintenance schedule? -- but, many companies do: something in the neighborhood of 5K ~ 10K miles to check wire wheel security: rim true-ness & spoke tension.
In time spokes may loosen and the wheel's integrity may become compromised? To correct for loose spokes and/or rim misalignment the spoke nipples need adjusting whilst the rim is constantly checked for both axial and radial run-out.
Adjusting (turning) the spoke nipples may affect any tube-less seal?  :187:
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #151 on: December 10, 2019, 10:47:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]
Adjusting (turning) the spoke nipples may affect any tube-less seal?  :187:

I wouldn't have thought so. The rim is only going to move fractions of a mm when being trued if it is anything like round to start with. The whole point of a spoked rim over a cast alloy one is that there is some flex in the rim to absorb surface irregularities so if the rim can do that without losing air I would expect a session on a truing stand would be within its capabilities. Worst case is you deflate and re inflate the tyre after the wheel is true to reset the tyre on the rim.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #152 on: December 10, 2019, 10:55:40 PM »
I was questioning the integrity of the spoke-nipple seal to the rim.
Once the nipple is turned, won't the seal be compromised?  :187:
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #153 on: December 10, 2019, 11:03:04 PM »
I was questioning the integrity of the spoke-nipple seal to the rim.
Once the nipple is turned, won't the seal be compromised?  :187:

The spokes are on the edge of the rim outside the tyre on the rims that Triumph are using. The other sort of tubeless rim (as used by Suzuki amongst others) is for the spokes to connect to a flange that is also outside the tyre.

Triumph/BMW/Ducati style rim

Similar style to what Suzuki and Yamaha use

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #154 on: December 10, 2019, 11:16:22 PM »
Thanks for that -- and, yes that's the (modern) way to do it.
But, what I was referring to where the comments made on posts #144 & #149 concerning converting old-style wire spoked wheels to tube-less.
Mentioned was "OUTEX Tubless Conversion" where they seem to use epoxy and paint and tape to seal the spoke nipples.
I guess I have my doubts..?  :187:
WSC

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #155 on: December 11, 2019, 12:26:55 AM »
Thanks for that -- and, yes that's the (modern) way to do it.
But, what I was referring to where the comments made on posts #144 & #149 concerning converting old-style wire spoked wheels to tube-less.
Mentioned was "OUTEX Tubless Conversion" where they seem to use epoxy and paint and tape to seal the spoke nipples.
I guess I have my doubts..?  :187:

I can see where you are coming from with the tubeless conversions that use a tape to seal the spoke nipples but people have been doing this for years on all sorts of bikes and I've never heard of an ongoing issue. Maybe modern motorcycle spokes don't come loose any longer? I know the ones on our mountain bikes have never needed adjusting and they are well over 10 years old (with tubed tyres of course).

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #156 on: December 11, 2019, 02:10:28 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
...I've never heard of an ongoing issue.
Maybe modern motorcycle spokes don't come loose any longer?
Maybe?
Maybe, too -- they're not checked any longer..?

From the JTR (QLD) site:
"TRUEING
Been racing motocross and your wheels gone out of round? Come see us and we can complete a wheel trueing service for you, we can retension your wheels and bring them back to original trueness (where possible) so that your not racing egg shape wheels."

Yes, MX will do 'em in -- but a little aggressive off-road can have similar (if maybe lesser) effects?

The whole point of a spoked rim over a cast alloy one is that there is some flex in the rim to absorb surface irregularities
I would think if, as you suggest, the wheel rim is moving about / absorbing irregularities, the threaded spoke nipples may be having a difficult time maintaining proper tension?  :187:
WSC

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #157 on: December 11, 2019, 09:09:34 AM »
Maybe, too -- they're not checked any longer..?

Yes, MX will do 'em in -- but a little aggressive off-road can have similar (if maybe lesser) effects?
I would think if, as you suggest, the wheel rim is moving about / absorbing irregularities, the threaded spoke nipples may be having a difficult time maintaining proper tension?  :187:

Spoke tension is checked in the MOT test in the UK. Watched him do it. So I check it before I take it.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Bladerunner99

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCA
« Reply #158 on: December 11, 2019, 11:53:49 AM »
That has been a consideration of mine as well, I have had to nip up a couple of spokes on my bike maybe twice in 2 years/10000ks.  Also an issue if a spoke should need replacing.  That is why I would prefer the proper tubeless rims but price is a problem, they're really expensive.
Ride to work. Work to ride

Offline Georgeinabz

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800xr
« Reply #159 on: December 11, 2019, 12:02:25 PM »
. Maybe modern motorcycle spokes don't come loose any longer?

They are going bananas on here , change of manufacturers to their wheels ?

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/520200-Another-rear-wheel-collapse

Recent Topics