Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: .  (Read 1311 times)

Offline Ollie

• Ex Member
  • Tiger Member
« on: November 12, 2010, 01:30:20 AM »
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 07:14:05 AM by Ollie »

Offline RaglandT

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800XC / 1200XRT
Re: MSF course
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 01:53:04 AM »
MSF is a great way to get back into riding.  Builds basic routines and skills.  And an 800 is fine to start back with.  Might be a bit much if you hadn't ever ridden, but even then either of the adventure series are pretty tame bikes compared to the street track monsters that are out there.    Just keep your right hand under control ...  both twisting and squeezing ...  :300:

Offline GRN

• Tiger Master
  • Where does that road go?
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 06:17:26 AM »
*Originally Posted by Ollie [+]
Thanks for the reply and vote of confidence!  Enjoying the nervous energy building up to tomorrow's class!   :152:

No reason to be nervous, it's a great curriculum to get you in gear. I just got home from teaching the first half of the classroom component of a class that hits the range this weekend  :152: Enjoy!
Greg - Seattle, WA
AMA, MSF RC, etc.
'04 ST1300 SOLD... Heavily customized DR650 in the works 8^)

Offline Mista_Vern

• Ex Member
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 03:17:46 PM »
What is the motorcycle test like in the USA?

MSF looks like the CBT for riding a moped up to a restricted 125cc.......Do you guys just ride round the block and get a license gifted?

Offline GRN

• Tiger Master
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 04:06:32 PM »
If not, then I invested $150 to become a much more aware, and safer driver  :152:

I fixed it for ya  :038:
Greg - Seattle, WA
AMA, MSF RC, etc.

Offline Tillamook

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 04:23:57 PM »
I took the MSF course three years ago.  It was a great way to get into street riding and well worth the $.  The course helps to raise awareness of your surroundings and how to handle the unexpected before and when it happens.  I took the intermediate course that had part out of the book and part on the motorcycle track.  I would highly recommend the MSF course to any rider that wants to improve their riding awareness and skills.

Offline GRN

• Tiger Master
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 05:07:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by GRN [+]
If not, then I invested $150 to become a much more aware, and safer driver and if I decide to get a bike it will lead to dumping thousands of more dollars into this endeavor over the years!:152:

fixed for you  :017:

Right on... the BRC is just the beginning... depending on where you live, there may be many offerings to enhance your continued learning. Back east the programs I worked for were very limited. Here in WA we have many options, including several intermediate and advanced range/on road, and track based courses, dirt bike courses, even a weekend adventure camp for DS!
Greg - Seattle, WA
AMA, MSF RC, etc.

Offline GRN

• Tiger Master
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 09:28:51 PM »
If not, then I invested $150 to become a much more aware, and safer driver and if I decide to get a bike it will lead to dumping thousands of more dollars into this endeavor over the years!:152:

Wow...wish we had those offerings here.  BRC and ERC only.  I'll probably end up doing the ERC next spring.

fixed for you  :017:

Right on... the BRC is just the beginning... depending on where you live, there may be many offerings to enhance your continued learning. Back east the programs I worked for were very limited. Here in WA we have many options, including several intermediate and advanced range/on road, and track based courses, dirt bike courses, even a weekend adventure camp for DS!

Wow...wish they had those offering here.  Only BRC and ERC.  Probably take ERC next spring.  Then it will be tiger time!  :300:

I suggest getting 1K+ on the new bike before taking it to an ERC... then get a few thousand more and take it to a TC ARC. Where are you located?
Greg - Seattle, WA
AMA, MSF RC, etc.

Offline GRN

• Tiger Master
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 05:56:25 AM »
I'm located in Ky.  Just finished the first night-course content and test.  It was so, so.  They kind of rushed through things and one instructor didn't seem prepared. 

Yeah, I won't go for the ERC until I get some miles on.  What's the TC ARC?  That adventure camp thing sounds awesome.  Wish I lived back out west again.  Did my undergraduate studies in Utah and Grad at Indiana U.  Since then I just got stuck in the midwest after taking a job.  Sure do miss mountain biking, fly fishing, tele skiing, kayaking......We do have a lot of rednecks here, so, I guess that's good?   :110: I shouldn't say that-most people I meet here are as friendly as one could hope to find.
Maybe not experienced... newbies usually have just gotten done the hell we call instructor prep, and are getting some classes on the schedule. Does the program there use the questions in the back of the book? You said my third favorite thing, fly fishing... sounds like you need to take a ride out for adv camp and some steelies  :156:
Greg - Seattle, WA
AMA, MSF RC, etc.

Offline RaglandT

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800XC / 1200XRT
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 02:23:59 AM »
Finished the MSF course today after two days of riding.  I have to say that was one of the best $100 I have ever spent!  Great fun, VERY challenging and educational!  I can't say enough about how worthwhile the class was.  Learning clutch control and friction zone were worth the price of admission alone.  Oh, and I got a perfect score on the riding test.     :007:

:028:   :062: :031:

Recent Topics

winded-staunch