Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Givi tank bags  (Read 856 times)

Offline geejay

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
Givi tank bags
« on: December 07, 2019, 08:54:14 PM »
Hi all, I know this subject has been aired in the past. I am looking or a Q/R tank bag for my 2014 Tiger 800 and would be interested to know if any of you have fitted a Givi XS 307, because looking at a photo of the underside it looks as if the adaptor is movable towards the front, is this the case.  Thanks

Offline Tiger4Two

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRT
Re: Givi tank bags
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 09:46:46 PM »
Hi GeeJay,

Apologies if you have already sorted one of these out (maybe via Santa) but I have only just spotted your posting (my excuse is that it has been a busy month  :110: ).

Yes, the GiVI XS307 is designed to be a universal fitting so it is possible to position the quick release clamp towards the front, middle or back of the bag depending on the position of the tank filler by undoing 4 small screws and repositioning the QR tanklock mechanism. There are 5 positions to choose from.

In the case of my 2016 Tiger 800 I have the QR clamp right at the front of the bag which keeps the front furthest away from the steering mechanism, i.e. the handlebars. (See last point below).

Don't forget that you need the correct QR Tanklock adapter to fit your Tiger's fuel filler which is sold as a separate item. Should be a BF02 and it comes with the necessary longer bolts to replace the standard filler cap fixing bolts.

The bag also has a longish fixed strap (separate to the shoulder strap) that is supposed to fasten around the headstock to act as a safety strap if the bag should become detached accidentally whilst riding. To be quite honest it's a PITA to keep threading it around the headstock (which is not easy) as you need to release it every time you fuel up ('cause you need to access to fuel cap) and is best cut off unless you are really safety conscious.

Hope this helps if its not too late.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 09:48:36 PM by Tiger4Two »
Technology. Life was so much simpler before the invention of the wheel!

Offline geejay

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 10:37:45 PM »
Hi Tiger4Two,

Santa did indeed drop Givi XS307 down the chimney courtesy of my wife and kids.
It works brilliantly after moving the fixing plate forward, though I had to pare a little bit of the black plastic off to make releasing the red lever easier. I am undecided about weather to remove the short "safety" strap or not, I'll see if it annoys me.
Sportsbikeshop on eBay had the best price including p&p delivered within 24 hours.

Thanks for responding, safe riding.

Offline Tiger4Two

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRT
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 11:27:12 AM »
Hi GeeJay,

That's great news, you must have been in Santa's good books in 2019!

The "safety" strap is the one design flaw in an otherwise excellent tank bag. If they had made the long part of the strap detachable via a QR buckle as well so that it can be popped inside when carrying the bag it would have been ideal. As it is there is nowhere to tuck the long strap and it sort of dangles from the underside when carrying the bag off the bike.

The purchase of a correct width QR buckle, half an hour with a hot blade and a bit of stitching with some black nylon thread can result in a much more flexible strap arrangement.

Have a safe and enjoyable 2020 season of riding!

:031:
Technology. Life was so much simpler before the invention of the wheel!

Recent Topics

winded-staunch