Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Air filter maintenance  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Frenzylion

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800xc
Air filter maintenance
« on: December 19, 2019, 10:33:26 AM »
I have just done a fairly major 40000KM service on my 2012 XC. I found every valve clearance to be extremely tight. On the inlets I could not even get a 0.05mm gauge to fit in. When I went to Triumph to buy the new shims I asked why they would have gone out by so much. First thing The mechanic asked me was the condition of the air filter. I had to admit it was completely blocked. I ride a lot of dusty gravel road and assumed that as I always leave a large gap to the rider in front so I am not riding in the dust. He explained that as the intake snorkel is under the seat all the dust from the back wheel is being sucked up into the filter. So please a word of warning, if you ride a lot of gravel check your filter regularly.
I have read on this forum about a pre-filter but I have been unable to find one in South Africa. Any suggestions??

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
Re: Air filter maintenance
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 10:51:50 AM »
The pre filters most people  use are made in Australia by Uniflow.
You can buy directly from their web site.

https://www.uniflow.com.au/contents/en-us/d371_TRIUMPHADV.html

My XRX is coming up for 4 years old with 40,000 km and had had a Unifilter since day one and has never needed to have the main air filter element changed despite doing a lot of dusty gravel roads.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 10:54:15 AM by K1W1 »

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 02:14:56 AM »
*Originally Posted by Frenzylion [+]
...I found every valve clearance to be extremely tight.
...I asked why they would have gone out by so much.
First thing The mechanic asked me was the condition of the air filter.
Pre-filter aside, do you think (or, you think the mechanic thinks?) that valve clearance issues and a dirty air filter are related?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 02:30:47 AM by AvgBear »
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline bucksfizz

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 18 Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 11:47:54 AM »
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]
Pre-filter aside, do you think (or, you think the mechanic thinks?) that valve clearance issues and a dirty air filter are related?

I would think that dirty air and valve clearances are related.
Dirty air is abrasive, and that leads to valve/seat wear, which means the valve will gradually recede into the head.
That, in turn, will reduce the clearance from the valve actuating mechanism.
Just my two penn'orth (two cents for US readers).

Offline Frenzylion

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800xc
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 12:44:24 PM »
I'm not quite sure the reasoning behind his response that a dirty air filter will result in valve clearance issues, but dirty filter definitely guilty as charged.

I do however trust his call as he has been in the bike business more than 40 years.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 09:31:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by bucksfizz [+]
I would think that dirty air and valve clearances are related.
Whilst I would not disagree with that statement, the OP claimed a "completely blocked" air filter caused valve clearance issues.
Although counter-intuitive, a dirty air filter is a good air filter -- a "completely blocked" air filter would be the best (in terms of keeping out contaminants). Except, power production would be limited -- if the engine ran well at-all?
Triumph reccos changing the air filter every 2 years or every 12,000 miles -- at that rate, most folks won't get an over-restictive, power-reducing, air filter (unless maybe? in extreme cases of dust?).
The OP mentioned service at 40,000km on a 2012 XC -- if that's the original air filter? (in photo), then change is due.
But, it didn't really look all that dirty to me -- as air filters go. And, probably has nothing to due with valve clearance issues.
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline Remy

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Street Scrambler
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 05:41:53 PM »
The Uniflow website mentions that Touratech is selling their products for Europe but i can't find for my Triumph.
Can somebody tell me where to buy a pre filter from for my '14 800 xc ?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 05:43:32 PM by Remy »

Online chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2019, 09:01:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by Remy [+]
The Uniflow website mentions that Touratech is selling their products for Europe but i can't find for my Triumph.
Can somebody tell me where to buy a pre filter from for my '14 800 xc ?

Touratech were selling them in a Europe and the USA but I seem to recall that that arrangement stopped about the time they went broke and were re financed. Uniflow are not really a technology company so their web site may not be accurate.
Uniflow in Australia ship world wide so either buy direct from them or through their eBay store.  Make sure you get the correct prefilter for your bike. There are three or four different ones now. The 14 ABS filter is very long and sausage shaped and to be truthful is a PITA to install. I found it easier to take the tank and top of the air box off to do it. The problem is the location of the hole in the air box for the filter to connect to and the difficulty in accessing it from the outside.

Offline Remy

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Street Scrambler
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2019, 10:58:04 PM »

Didn't saw it, thank you

*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
Touratech were selling them in a Europe and the USA but I seem to recall that that arrangement stopped about the time they went broke and were re financed. Uniflow are not really a technology company so their web site may not be accurate.
Uniflow in Australia ship world wide so either buy direct from them or through their eBay store.  Make sure you get the correct prefilter for your bike. There are three or four different ones now. The 14 ABS filter is very long and sausage shaped and to be truthful is a PITA to install. I found it easier to take the tank and top of the air box off to do it. The problem is the location of the hole in the air box for the filter to connect to and the difficulty in accessing it from the outside.

I agree it was already tricky to put back the stock tube in the airbox when i did the valve shims, i used some silicon spray to help. I'll wait the next time i drop the tank to make the upgrade  :028:

Recent Topics

winded-staunch