Out and About > Tiger Tails - Touring Chat and Ride Reports

Speed Cameras Scotland

<< < (2/5) > >>

Grumps:
I have to ask. Are you planning to speed?

Paulhere:
Originally Posted by Fazer Map of Scotland showing speed camera locations: http://www.safetycameras.gov.scot/cameras/safety-camera-locations/

That's brill, thanks Fazer, many that I was aware of, some that I wasn't, on that map. It's the ones at the point of change from a 60 to a 30 that get folk with a small'ish 30 sign obscured by branches with sneaky mobiles on edge of villages, the one at Strathyre catches plenty, usually bikes, it's a favourite run for Glasgow boys.

One of the weegies I've ridden with got pulled on a road not usually monitored, he got a 2 year ban & ordered to retake his test. He was a wee bit over the top. Gone now, head on 2 years ago.

We don't use A9 now, most boring road in Scotland with 60 limits on a big wide road that makes it feel slow. Like a metallic snake of waggons with tourists sat in the middle. Far nicer routes up there. We go up most years, a couple of pals do the landmark challenge, I just go for the ride. The landmarks have taken us to some interesting places.

We've attended many of the rallies run by the Scottish branches of TOMCC, they've been brill, with great ride outs. Several of the Scots boys come down to the English rallies in return.

It's expensive, cold & wet mostly, but grand when it's none of those. Real ale can be hard to find in some areas. Good ones are; The Clachaig inn at Glencoe, The White stag at Strathyre (used to be called the Inn at Strathyre) The Applecross Inn & The Old Inn at Gairloch. Campsites close by all.  :031:

Fazer:
Originally Posted by Paulhere .... It's the ones at the point of change from a 60 to a 30 that get folk with a small'ish 30 sign obscured by branches with sneaky mobiles on edge of villages, the one at Strathyre catches plenty, usually bikes, it's a favourite run for Glasgow boys........

I thought Id been caught by a mobile camera van at just such a place on the A9 southbound at Helmsdale (north of Inverness) in September. 30 sign is quite a way north of town approaching a roundabout, then the road seems to be back out into open country. I assumed that I'd missed the derestricted sign after the roundabout and started to accelerate, then noticed the streetlights so immediately shut the throttle again, only to see the camera van in the distance. I was lucky to be back within the speed limit in time!

Paulhere:
Originally Posted by Fazer I thought Id been caught by a mobile camera van at just such a place on the A9 southbound at Helmsdale (north of Inverness) in September. 30 sign is quite a way north of town approaching a roundabout, then the road seems to be back out into open country. I assumed that I'd missed the derestricted sign after the roundabout and started to accelerate, then noticed the streetlights so immediately shut the throttle again, only to see the camera van in the distance. I was lucky to be back within the speed limit in time!

Yes, very lucky. One of the boys in our club was called up to Inverness court for 90 in a 60, he was given 6 points & 600 fine......20 years ago. Plods in unmarked cars/bikes think it's fun to entice bikers to speed for a gotcha.

philmcglass:
Just to add to the frustration, HGV speedlimit is 40 on single carriageway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version