Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 6000 mile service  (Read 5441 times)

Online Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800 Roadie, 2013
Re: 6000 mile service
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2021, 05:35:32 PM »

that's what I said.
In addition to that at least over here the Ducati dealers are in some cases the most arrogant people I have ever met. My wife has a Ducati Scrambler and two weeks after the two year warranty ran out the front fork was losing oil on one side. So I got that repaired, did I pay for it (two weeks?), of course the full show, it was something like 200 Euros. Next year oil leak again, took it to the dealer, this time I managed to strike a deal: I paid the parts, they did the work. Did it last? of course not after another year again oil coming out. Fed up with the Ducati guys I took the bike to my trusted mechanic (who normally refuses to service Ducati because of their "arrogance" (his words not mine)), he took the fork apart and surprise surprise the one fork tube had a sharp burr (if that is the right word) destroying the simmering so eventually the oil would seep through. See above the Ducati chaps "repaired" the fork two times and never noticed that.

So we replaced the fork tube (another 400 Euros for parts and work) ever since no problems. Trouble is in the near future I have to find someone trustworthy to do the desmo check, no idea where to find someone who is not ripping me off.

and yes Ducati is German owned but apparently their way of conducting business is very italien even mafia style.
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Offline nobsta

• Tiger Master
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2021, 05:58:57 PM »
The Desmo service is in the region of 1k. I anticipated that when buying the bike and collectively when you add up the service costs of the Tiger and the Ducati over 18k miles believe it or not the Ducati actually came in cheaper. The last time I had an 18k service on a Tiger it cost me over 800 so we're not too far away there! To add the Ducati has far more technology on it and a bigger more powerful engine so overall I would expect to pay more. The deal I was given by my Ducati dealer far exceeded any deal Triumph have ever offered, 1200 touring kit, Tracker, 4 year warranty, 1st service and a good part ex price for my Tiger at the same time. I've had 3 NEW Tigers from Triumph over the years and have battled to get any good deals. I do miss them and am still very fond of them and the Triumph brand but our parting came about after my local Triumph dealer and the head office couldn't explain to me the reason for the sudden increase in service times/cost for the 6k service which went from being around 250 to 450!

Online Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2021, 06:05:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by nobsta [+]
The Desmo service is in the region of 1k. I anticipated that when buying the bike and collectively when you add up the service costs of the Tiger and the Ducati over 18k miles believe it or not the Ducati actually came in cheaper. The last time I had an 18k service on a Tiger it cost me over 800 so we're not too far away there! To add the Ducati has far more technology on it and a bigger more powerful engine so overall I would expect to pay more. The deal I was given by my Ducati dealer far exceeded any deal Triumph have ever offered, 1200 touring kit, Tracker, 4 year warranty, 1st service and a good part ex price for my Tiger at the same time. I've had 3 NEW Tigers from Triumph over the years and have battled to get any good deals. I do miss them and am still very fond of them and the Triumph brand but our parting came about after my local Triumph dealer and the head office couldn't explain to me the reason for the sudden increase in service times/cost for the 6k service which went from being around 250 to 450!

that's interesting, I guess different markets, different way how to treat them. The UK is Triumph homeland (strange for bikes now exclusively made in Thailand...forgive me the pun) so I guess your dealers are not as competetive as over here. Over here it's the BMWs and the Ducatis who seem to stand their ground and are that not really customer friendly. I had BMWs before and they were more expensive than the Triumphs... and I have already stated my opinion regarding Ducati, but then my wife simply loves her Scrambler, a ride on my Bobber prompted her comment, that she prefers the italian primadonna to my english rose.

Offline nobsta

• Tiger Master
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2021, 06:23:50 PM »
I think a lot of issues regarding peoples loyalty to brands stem from their local dealers. The Ducati dealer I use couldn't be more helpful and tbh were one of the reasons I jumped ship from Triumph. They gave me the confidence to buy into the brand and going forward the confidence to give them my cash for the bike to be serviced. Time will tell how that goes but so far so good. I purchased a kwaka 250 from a dealer over 200 miles away and have taken it back there twice now for servicing as the dealer is great. I have a local Kwaka dealer 5 miles away but still prefur to go the distance. Its a good ride out too and they have looked after me for going back.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2021, 06:33:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by nobsta [+]
I think a lot of issues regarding peoples loyalty to brands stem from their local dealers. The Ducati dealer I use couldn't be more helpful and tbh were one of the reasons I jumped ship from Triumph. They gave me the confidence to buy into the brand and going forward the confidence to give them my cash for the bike to be serviced. Time will tell how that goes but so far so good. I purchased a kwaka 250 from a dealer over 200 miles away and have taken it back there twice now for servicing as the dealer is great. I have a local Kwaka dealer 5 miles away but still prefur to go the distance. Its a good ride out too and they have looked after me for going back.

Makes sense, so many people get rid of big Ducati's at the major service because of the cost but as you say, that'd be 3 Tiger 800 services with similar costs.
Would a dealer having taken in a Multi' at 17.5k'ish miles give it that 18k service at his expense, or just stamp the book. Of course, they would.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Shergar

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2021, 06:47:20 PM »
For those who are not precious about using a main dealer for service and who don't mind a ride into Lincolnshire I can recommend Clive Wood based in Swineshead.

He has serviced my 2017 XRT for the last two years - he is thorough, knows what he is doing, his wife keeps you fed with tea and bacon butties and his prices are far better than a main dealer.

For the service last year I spent the time sat in their lounge with access to sky TV rather than standing watching Clive for 4 hours. He did call me out a couple of times to show me bits and explain things that he felt were relevant.

I travel up from Northampton - was a wet ride last year but I was soon warm and dry after I arrived and his wife put my bike gear on a radiator to dry it out.

Just search for Clive Wood Triumph Swineshead and you will find him on google.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte' ......... By Skill and by Fighting
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2021, 06:50:55 PM »
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Online Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2021, 07:03:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Shergar [+]
For those who are not precious about using a main dealer for service and who don't mind a ride into Lincolnshire I can recommend Clive Wood based in Swineshead.

don't know the guy but he sounds like my mechanic Frank and his buddies here in Frankfurt. Unfortunately if you use a "free" mechanic during warranty you'll have all sorts of trouble claiming warranty with Triumph over here. So I stick to the registered Triumph dealer for service during the first four years (yes, 4 year warranty for Triumph over here, unlike BMW and Ducati who just give two years) and then switch.

apart from this: the variety you have with bikes over the brands is much broader then with cars, so I fully understand when someone is fed up with one brand and goes off to the next.

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2021 900 GT Pro
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2021, 10:28:37 PM »
Over 80k km on my 2012 I did all the major work on it except for seals and the 40k service, both I ended up unhappy with and redoing myself. 

I'm going to give the new Triumph dealer in town the breakin service for the 900 to decide if I give them any more business or not.

Offline coddy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2021, 06:18:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by Shergar [+]

He has serviced my 2017 XRT for the last two years - he is thorough, knows what he is doing, his wife keeps you fed with tea and bacon butties and his prices are far better than a main dealer.

For the service last year I spent the time sat in their lounge with access to sky TV rather than standing watching Clive for 4 hours. He did call me out a couple of times to show me bits and explain things that he felt were relevant.

I travel up from Northampton - was a wet ride last year but I was soon warm and dry after I arrived and his wife put my bike gear on a radiator to dry it out.

Just search for Clive Wood Triumph Swineshead and you will find him on google.

Ive been to Clive Wood twice now for service/repairs, never got a bacon buttie though!!

But yea he knows his stuff alright and he's doing my 12K service this year for an estimated 500

Recent Topics