Accessories, Products, and Clothing > Sat Navs, Intercoms, Cameras, and other tech gadgets

iPhone 11 for nav

(1/4) > >>

Barneyridesagain:
Looking for advise on using an iphone 11 with a nav app vs a real gps. I ordered a Zumo 396, but am sending it back. The screen is too tiny for my old eyes. Debating between ponying up for the larger Zumo or just upgrading my old iphone6 to the new 11 and using it. Concerned about screen brightness in direct sun.

julianhj:
An iPhone shouldn't be any different to a dedicated nav screen in terms of reflectiveness, just set it to maximum brightness, get a decent mount like a Quadlock and a USB power adapter and you're good to go. I'd certainly do it if I didn't already have a TomTom.

AvgBear:
Originally Posted by Barneyridesagain Looking for advise on using an iphone 11 with a nav app vs a real gps.As I understand it - and I'm no expert by any means - a cell-phone knows where you're at by triangulating off cell towers -- whilst a gps uses satellites.
If you don't have cell / phone service?, you may be lost -- whereas a gps will always find you.

K1W1:
Originally Posted by AvgBear As I understand it - and I'm no expert by any means - a cell-phone knows where you're at by triangulating off cell towers -- whilst a gps uses satellites.
If you don't have cell / phone service?, you may be lost -- whereas a gps will always find you.

Cell phones have had GPS chips in them for 8-10 years. They work as a GPS without phone reception.

AvgBear:
Yes, but (as I said -- I'm certainly no expert...) -- doesn't the cellphone "estimate" your location from cell tower info? Not gps/satellite info.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version