Accessories, Products, and Clothing > Sat Navs, Intercoms, Cameras, and other tech gadgets

iPhone 11 for nav

<< < (2/4) > >>

julianhj:
Google Maps has an offline mode where you can download any areas you choose Iím advance; navigation works fine without mobile reception.

Rtwo:
Originally Posted by julianhj An iPhone shouldn't be any different to a dedicated nav screen in terms of reflectiveness, just set it to maximum brightness, get a decent mount like a Quadlock and a USB power adapter and you're good to go. I'd certainly do it if I didn't already have a TomTom.

There's no way that my iPhone comes close to the visibility in high sunlight that my old tomtom 400 does.
The iPhone is impossible at times, the tomtom, very occasionally

K1W1:
Originally Posted by AvgBear Yes, but (as I said -- I'm certainly no expert...) -- doesn't the cellphone "estimate" your location from cell tower info? Not gps/satellite info.

No. They have a GPS chip just like a TomTom or Garmin and they measure to the same degree of accuracy using GPS signals from satellites. They use tower triangulation for the phone but not for mapping applications.

chuckxc:
Rain,  gloves, screen brightness, heat, etc.
 Phone gps has better maps but crap ergonomics.
Not a replacement for moto gps unit.
Garmin should incorporate google maps.

Barneyridesagain:
Thanks guys all for the replies! Still undecided. Good arguments for both.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version