Out and About > Tiger Tails - Touring Chat and Ride Reports

Ireland trip this year.

(1/4) > >>

skidmark66:
Im trying to put a little trip to Ireland together for this July just for a week maybe more for me and missus.
Im looking to go Pembroke to Rosslare and then on from there. Not sure if I  should I just book a base and trips from the base or should I move my base around. Not sure how big the Island is and will want to see as much as poss and not just blatt from city to city not taking in the sights. I love coastal roads so will want to do as much of the coast as possible as well. Any advice please.
Cheers
Mark.

KildareMan:
It's big enough , but with so much to see the bike is just the means to an end.
Look at travelling the south coast and maybe basing in Kerry (bottom left of Ireland). Had a family holiday a couple of years ago and based in Valentia Island (Knight's town). From there you have Skellig ring, Ring of Kerry, Dingle/Dingle peninsular, Blasket Islands (nice day trip but be warned there are no facilities on the Great island), another day trip up to Limerick - Foynes flying boat museum amongst others is worth seeing. Hunt museum in Limerick itself.

I could go on and on.

Get the maps out. :028:

healdem:
wild Atlantic way?

Tigermainia:
Hi I did this a couple of years ago, we're from the same area and we had an overnight before the ferry from Fishguard to Rosslare. We went from the ferry to Bray just south of Dublin, 2 nights then across to Clifden on the west coast, 3nights, and then down to Kilarney for 3 nights then on to New Ross for a couple of nights.

With the three nights in Clifden and Kilarney it gives two days to ride the WAW (Wild Atlantic Way) all around the peninsulas, stunning scenery.

You will need a lot more time to do it in depth.

Hope this gives you an idea, its around six hundred miles without ride outs, and home to ferry and return another 600 miles.

Good luck. If you want any info on B&B's I'll try and dig some out. :031:

Tallpaul:
I am visiting twice this year, it's a lovely place and the people are so friendly. Leaving Rosslare, head down the Copper Mine Coast and then link it up with the start of the WAW at Kinsale. You can't get it wrong because the rusty WAW signs are everywhere and other notices point you North or South. If you want to see some stunning mountain passes, have a couple of days riding around the Killarney National Park, ride Moll's Gap, Black Valley, Gap of Dunloe, Healy Pass, Caha Pass. Dingle is a lovely little town, bars with live music and great eating houses.

If you are on Facebook or YouTube, watch videos by Roadtrooper, Denis shoots some great footage set to amazing music.

Also buy The Wild Atlantic Way Route Atlas, by Xploreit, from ebay

Have a great trip, you will, you will, you will!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version