Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Topping up fork oil?  (Read 1828 times)

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
Topping up fork oil?
« on: January 03, 2020, 06:57:35 PM »
So my 2012 Tiger roadie is leaking oil on fork seals that were done less than a year ago, I'm going to try cleaning the seals and it's only leaked about 100ml or so of oil out on my garage floor but I'm wondering if it's possible to replace the lost oil without having to pull the forks off the bike entirely.  I can but it's a pain in the ass and I'd rather not.

Most of what I am finding is for the XC and for doing a full change so I'm not sure if this is a valid option or not.

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
Re: Topping up fork oil?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 09:29:21 PM »
yes, you can add oil in the top of the tube. loosen the triple clamp bolt at the top then take off the cap.
If it has continued to leak after replacement of new seals then there is a chance your tubes are sctratched or pitted.
100 ml loss is a lot.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 09:51:49 PM »
Ok that's something at least. I'm not super impressed as they both appear to be leaking though one is much worse than the other. 100ml is an eyeball amount on the floor but if I clean the seals and don't get anymore leakage for a few weeks I'll try topping them up.

Offline UncleGary

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 10:20:15 PM »
Since both seals leak I would wonder if the seal job was done correctly. Seems like the chance of both seals going out from road debris at the same time would be slim. It is possible the seals were damaged in some way by an installation error. Are the forks pitted or scratched?

Offline walker

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800xc
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 10:30:01 PM »
you will have to remove the fork to have enough room to top it off by unscrewing the fork body from the top cap and letting it drop a bit.  the top won't just pop off like a standard fork.

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 11:30:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by UncleGary [+]
Since both seals leak I would wonder if the seal job was done correctly. Seems like the chance of both seals going out from road debris at the same time would be slim. It is possible the seals were damaged in some way by an installation error. Are the forks pitted or scratched?

I went through with a thin plastic shim and some paper towel and couldn't feel anything wrong. The seal covers were full of oil but once I went through and wiped it clean afterward nothing seemed to be leaking. I'll be keeping an eye on it with a papertowel under it to see if I get more oil out.

If it stays clear I'll start monkeying with filling them back up. 

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 11:38:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by walker [+]
you will have to remove the fork to have enough room to top it off by unscrewing the fork body from the top cap and letting it drop a bit.  the top won't just pop off like a standard fork.

Let's assume for a moment this will be the first fork I've worked on, I don't know what popping off like a standard fork means.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2020, 08:48:46 AM »
Sounds like some dodgy cheap seals were used? Job needs doing again with OE seals. Likely stopped leaking 'cos nowt left. No point chasing yer ass.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2020, 10:33:30 AM »
Just take this cap off

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2020, 10:36:34 AM »
100ml is an awful lot of oil BTW
The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Recent Topics