Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Topping up fork oil?  (Read 3152 times)

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
Re: Topping up fork oil?
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2020, 12:49:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by chuckxc [+]
yes, you can add oil in the top of the tube. loosen the triple clamp bolt at the top then take off the cap.

I am going to agree and disagree with Chuck.
Yes you can add oil to the forks as he says it is easy to do.
Should you top up the forks?  No. You have no idea how much has actually leaked out, as Chuck says 100ml if that is what has leaked is a lot from the forks and simply topping up a random amount means you have no idea what the total in the forks will be after you have topped up so you have no idea how the forks will operate after you have topped up.
Fix the problem dont create new problems by trying to take shortcuts,

Offline walker

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800xc
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2020, 05:00:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by hawkbox [+]
Let's assume for a moment this will be the first fork I've worked on, I don't know what popping off like a standard fork means.

The top cap will not simply detach by unscrewing it from the body of the fork.

A standard fork you can remove the top cap with the fork in place on the bike - that works because the top cap is only held in place by threads on the fork tube like a top on a glass jar. The only thing you have to worry about there is the fork spring.

On an Upside Down Fork, the cap holds the main spring captive BUT the cap is held in place by a threaded rod on the inside of the fork, and to get to the lock nut you have to compress the spring first by unscrewing the outer fork leg from the cap, then sliding it down... then compressing the spring to gain access to the lock nut on the threaded rod, which will let you unscrew the top cap.

I finally got tired of the cheap fork disassembly tools I had and bought a more expensive and easier to use disassembly tool.

Here is a video explaining what you need to do .

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2020, 05:35:23 PM »
Ah sh*t. So that is going to be a hassle, but I have all winter to do it so not the end of the world.  I'm pretty damned unimpressed with the shop that did the last set of seals right now.

Follow up question, is there a seal kit I can order that has all the necessary parts? Or a parts list handy somewhere I can reference? Getting Triumph parts in Canada can be a pain in the ass.

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2020, 05:38:18 PM »
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Member
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2020, 09:14:40 PM »
Let me be more specific, a list of the parts I will need to purchase in order to actually replace the seals without making multiple purchases as I discover something I missed?  Or should I just buy the entire fork assembly from that website?

Offline UncleGary

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2020, 10:44:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by hawkbox [+]
Let me be more specific, a list of the parts I will need to purchase in order to actually replace the seals without making multiple purchases as I discover something I missed?  Or should I just buy the entire fork assembly from that website?

Seal kits are available in North America from:
https://www.allballsracing.com/

and my choice:
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/skf-fork-and-dust-seal-kit-p

There are a variety of YouTube videos that cover the details of the job. Start with the videos to see if the repair seems reasonable.

Online chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2020, 10:58:25 PM »

My advice for what its worth---if you have never repaired a front fork you should have it done by one of the many MC suspension shops. Repair can be difficult, especially if its the new one with the requirement for a special tool for spring comrpression.

Too many times seals can be replaced and the leak is still there because of the condition of the slide surface. Nothing will piss you off more than going through all that trouble and the leak remains. (speaking from first hand  'lessons learned' here).

Best to leave it the the experts, but not necessarily the ones that recently botched it!
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Member
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2020, 11:16:28 PM »
2 different shops and neither have lasted me more than 2 seasons so at this point either the forks need to be replaced or they're consistently incompetent so I don't really have anything to lose.

It'll give me something to cuss and swear about when it's -40.

Online chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2020, 11:20:01 PM »
good luck, let us know how you go. when the forks are apart have a good inspection of the surface. And don't use cheap seals, OEM are your best chance.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Member
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2020, 11:34:27 PM »
That's what I am thinking, I didn't realize it was just a couple seals and dust covers. It will be educational and I have a heavy duty mechanic buddy who has done a few different bike seals so I should be good to do it.  Worst case they'll be off the bike and I can just take them in and go "WTF"?

Recent Topics

winded-staunch