Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Topping up fork oil?  (Read 2172 times)

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
Re: Topping up fork oil?
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2020, 02:27:09 AM »
good approach, at least you will have them off the bike for better inspection and gain the experience to do the removal and installation.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2020, 05:14:14 PM »
Yeah, I've let myself be intimidated by it until now but I figure I have very little to lose right now.

Are there any specific tools you would recommend to do this? Sounds like I need some kind of fork compressor? I assume the Triumph specific ones are $$$$

Here is the leakage, it's hard to eyeball exactly how much that is on the floor, but they are definitely both leaking.

Offline philmcglass

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Mine's a pint
  • Bike: Tiger XRX 2016
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2020, 05:55:00 PM »
Not done any work on USD forks but did a seal change on 2001 Sprint ST with conventional forks.
From the video (good guide I think) I would make sure you have the seal driver tool.
Find the Line

Offline walker

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800xc
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2020, 06:21:30 PM »
Things you will need:
  • something to help you compress the spring to remove the locknut and top cap
  • something to seat the new fork seal in place
  • something to help measure the fork oil level

There are basic fork spring compressor tools - they are a bit difficult with one person but can be done. I've had the best luck using small S hooks and then a ratchet type strap looped through the bottom of the fork to compress the spring. Got tired of that and bought something more expensive (which speeds things up).

A good seal driver is hard to beat. I once tried one of the PVC pipe methods... might work on a bicycle fork, but a motorcycle fork is a bit too difficult for that (for me at least). a good seal driver is the way to go.

Setting the fork oil level - there are inexpensive tools that work fine. You can do something like that guy did in the video I posted - using something like a stick to measure the level of the oil, pour some out, measure again, and so on. The syringe type tools are really easy - fill the fork past the level you need, set the depth of the tube, suction out oil until it starts pulling air - then the level is set.

The first time you do this - spending some money on proper tools makes the job easier, but it drives up the cost. If you are doing this on more than one motorcycle or more than once, it makes more sense. You're likely to use the compressor and fork oil tool again if you replace the fork fluid at some point.

Online UncleGary

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2020, 10:59:01 PM »
You do not need a spring compressor for a Roadie. I did my forks without any help or a spring compressor. A seal driver is a must, most people buy one that is the correct size or borrow one. Some of us have made our own "hand crafted" driver. Not worth the effort. Knowing what I know now, I would have just gritted my teeth and purchased one.

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2020, 11:22:50 PM »
Well I can afford to pay a bit for a part to make my life easier that's for sure.  Any suggestions on a good one?

Offline walker

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2020, 12:12:23 AM »
I like the motion pro one - it's a good balance of quality and price. Right around $50 US.

Online UncleGary

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2020, 12:27:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by walker [+]
I like the motion pro one - it's a good balance of quality and price. Right around $50 US.
That would be a good choice. Installing the new seals is where the potential for failure comes in. A good driver works without damaging the seal or ones mental outlook.  :001:

Offline walker

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2020, 03:11:12 AM »
*Originally Posted by UncleGary [+]
That would be a good choice. Installing the new seals is where the potential for failure comes in. A good driver works without damaging the seal or ones mental outlook.  :001:

I've ended up with 3 different sizes over a few years (different bikes), and I don't think I could have done without a good seal driver. The fork springs that are in the bike now are too stiff to do without a spring compressor of some sort (can't remember what the OEM one was like - it's been a while).

The tip in the video to use some old plastic from a milk or other container is a good idea - I may have to try that method next time. I just use electricians tape to tape up the top of the fork to slip the seal over it... spiral wrap the tape so it covers the top of the tube and then the area where the bushing sits... put a little oil on the seal and it will go over the tape without catching on anything.

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2020, 05:34:03 AM »
This is my spring compressor:

Chico

Recent Topics