Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Heads-Up Drink Driving Limits  (Read 2345 times)

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Heads-Up Drink Driving Limits
« on: January 13, 2020, 12:57:26 PM »
I was having a brief conversation with a couple of colleagues at work and I thought it would be worthwhile sharing some of the key points that we were talking about around the drink drive limit in the UK with the wider community.

Even though most of you may be aware or have received communications in the past, I want to point out that the drink drive limit in Scotland is lower than that of other parts of the UK. I have extracted a table from the governments website ( https://www.gov.uk/drink-drive-limit ) with this information.

Level of alcohol                             England, Wales and Northern Ireland              Scotland
Micrograms per 100 millilitres of breath                 35                                   22
Milligrams per 100 millilitres of blood                    80                                   50
Milligrams per 100 millilitres of urine                  107                                   67

The reason I wanted to bring this to peoples attention is that we often go driving on company business and we often share a meal and a drink with our colleagues in the evening. While there are a number of factors that influence the alcohol in our system, the typical guidelines suggest that to stay below the 50mg limit, an average man would be limited to just under a pint of beer or a large glass of wine, but while you may be within the limits for driving after a pint in England (average man), that pint with your meal in Scotland could mean you are driving illegally.

It is also worth noting that the limits in England are some of the highest in Europe so bear this in mind as this will affect a number of us with commitments to visit overseas suppliers within Europe. The numbers and countries listed below may not be fully up to date but an interesting look across Europe for information (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-30329743):

What is the legal limit elsewhere in Europe? (All figures per 100ml of blood)
   Zero - Romania, Slovakia, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovenia (drivers with less than three years experience), Germany (less than two years experience or aged under 21)
   20mg - Estonia, Poland, Sweden, Cyprus (south), Ireland (learner drivers only), Latvia (less than two years experience), Lithuania (less than two years experience), Greece (less than two years experience), Luxembourg (less than two years experience and professional drivers), France (bus drivers only)
   24mg - Slovenia
   30mg - Germany (for those involved in an accident)
   40mg - Lithuania
   50mg - Scotland, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany (if not involved in an accident), Gibraltar, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Cyprus (north)
   80mg - England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Malta

Im hoping this note will educate some individuals who were not aware of this, but I mostly wanted to reinforce a key safety message for those driving on company business (or driving in general). The best advice I often hear and want to give is to not drink at all if driving, but if you really, really, really, want to, do remember the facts and information above.
Now available in "Batman"

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: Heads-Up Drink Driving Limits
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 01:25:49 PM »
Full Irish limits are below

The legal limits for fully-licenced drivers in Category B are: Same for bikes - category A

50 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood
67 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of urine
22 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath

The legal limits for professional, learner and novice drivers are: (Novice for 2 years post test

20 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood
27 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of urine
9 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 12:32:21 PM »
Thanks KM, I'll pass that on too, we don't have any work in the republic, but I dare say there are a few who go their for holidays, etc.  :028:
Now available in "Batman"

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 02:30:29 PM »
In Switzerland it's 25mg/l and they do not joke about it, you do not want ot be fined here and forbidden to enter the country I can tell you, you could also risk your vehicle being seized...
Also it is 0 if you are under 25 years of age, so better be aware of this if you plan to ride the alps !

Offline Tallpaul

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800XR
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 02:42:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
In Switzerland it's 25mg/l and they do not joke about it, you do not want ot be fined here and forbidden to enter the country I can tell you, you could also risk your vehicle being seized...
Also it is 0 if you are under 25 years of age, so better be aware of this if you plan to ride the alps !

I'm sure that Switzerland is beautiful, but I have always ridden around to avoid it and the draconian traffic laws, fines and taxes.

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Master
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 02:54:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tallpaul [+]
I'm sure that Switzerland is beautiful, but I have always ridden around to avoid it and the draconian traffic laws, fines and taxes.

Your loss dude, I just never understood such reasoning, every country has rules and laws, speed limits aren't much different our fines are just higher, personally I don't go in other countries to ride like an ass or drive drunk, especially on roads I don't know so that's a non "excuse" to me to avoid a place.
I'd rather be in Switzerland where at least the rules are clear, than ride Russia and never be sure if sh*t will happen.

But as I always say everyone does as they please.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 03:07:02 PM by Djairouks »

Offline Stelyn

• Tiger Master
  • 2018 XRx
  • Bike: Tiger XRX
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 03:18:17 PM »

Scotlands `Drink Drive Test ' appears quite straight forward ........ :492:

/>

`Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with  its head out of the car window '

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Master
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 03:21:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stelyn [+]

Scotlands `Drink Drive Test ' appears quite straight forward ........ :492:

/>

Mwahahah some friends wouldn't understand even without drinking, so it's dangerous  :016: !

Offline Tallpaul

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800XR
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 03:43:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
Your loss dude, I just never understood such reasoning, every country has rules and laws, speed limits aren't much different our fines are just higher, personally I don't go in other countries to ride like an ass or drive drunk, especially on roads I don't know so that's a non "excuse" to me to avoid a place.
I'd rather be in Switzerland where at least the rules are clear, than ride Russia and never be sure if sh*t will happen.

But as I always say everyone does as they please.

Fair comments, I don't ass around or drink drive, I just don't want to get caught because I don't know the local laws.

Offline Lopez

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: '18 XCA
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 09:46:40 AM »
Good thread!

Saves me a lot of money, because before reading it, my method, when in another country, was drinking a beer, then drive, wait for the fine, note it. Drink another beer, drive again, beeing fined again, note it... And so.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch