Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Is my battery weak and failing?  (Read 3703 times)

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: Is my battery weak and failing?
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2020, 09:40:51 AM »
Not gloating or anything as I know it's a total "crap shoot" / "luck of the draw" (delete as required) how well your battery lasts but mine is shortly to reach it's 9th anniversary.

Fork seals on the other hand are buggered and will be changed this weekend.
Lost again

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2020, 10:17:59 AM »
*Originally Posted by Uczbpha [+]
Tested with multi meter, 12.6v when off, 12.2v with ignition turned on, rising to 13.2v with engine running and increased RPM,  I think battery is dying, am I right, its the original battery as well so 5 years old.

Battery sounds fine to me, best check is, what does it read under starting load, eg 10.5v or more is good.

Charging rate should not exceed 10% of battery power, Yuasa recommend a max of 1amp charger.

The less powerful 14series battery on my Tiger 1050 is 6 years old, the 12 series on my ST1050 was also 6 years old & fine when I sold it. We have the luxury of the 16 series on our T800's.

Batteries are designed to give a min of 4 years life, some can go on for many more depends how they're used/abused, I've had 14 years from a car battery, still good when I chopped it in.

Straight off a charger a battery can read 13+v, switch the headlight on a few mins to burn off the excess & it should settle at 12.8v, under normal use a good battery should read 12.6v minimum, eg 2.1v per cell. Much less could mean a tad less per cell or could be one cell is knackered eg all the paste has fell out of the grid. Back in the 1980's we started manufacturing them with the pozi plate in a plastic bag to stop them shorting out when this happened. The old Brit bikes could vibrate the paste out of those old batteries in months, not years.

Do it like Yuasa say:

https://www.yuasabatteries.com/resources/battery-maintenance-storage/spring-start-up-guidelines/

Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Online gordybrock

• Tiger Master
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2020, 11:05:13 AM »
*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]
Not gloating or anything as I know it's a total "crap shoot" / "luck of the draw" (delete as required) how well your battery lasts but mine is shortly to reach it's 9th anniversary.

Fork seals on the other hand are buggered and will be changed this weekend.
My original Yuasa is in it's 8th year, still going strong, plenty of oomph, never let me down  :152:
I'm from Wigan Me

Recent Topics

winded-staunch