Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Is my battery weak and failing?  (Read 3471 times)

Offline Uczbpha

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800XRX
Is my battery weak and failing?
« on: January 13, 2020, 04:51:48 PM »
Need some advice folks, Tiger 800xrx. She starts up ok and is fine on idle, lights and instruments all fine, when riding yesterday I had heated grips on and two cameras powered from the hella sockets, she started running a bit rough, hesitant, jerky as if losing power, unplugged cameras and everything was fine again.

So stuck bike on optimiser and it went straight to recover mode, and then this morning it was flashing maintain mode that it wouldnt hold a charge above 12.6v. Permanent maintain and strong indicator failed to light up.

Tested with multi meter, 12.6v when off, 12.2v with ignition turned on, rising to 13.2v with engine running and increased RPM,  I think battery is dying, am I right, its the original battery as well so 5 years old.

Battery is a Yuasa, should I stick with an original replacement or do you guys recommend something better?

Thanks for any help.

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: Is my battery weak and failing?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 05:01:24 PM »
Would expect 14.5v ish when engine running tbh or thereabouts.
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Offline Uczbpha

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 05:54:30 PM »
Sorry, mistype, it was 14.2 when running so its getting the correct charge but not holding it I think?

Offline UncleGary

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 06:26:38 PM »
Auto parts stores around here offer free battery testing with equipment that applies a load to the battery and compares the voltage to the manufacturer's specifications for a particular temperature. They give you a little readout of the estimated capacity compared to new. You can save time by being sure that the battery is charged when you take it in. Otherwise you might need to stand around while they charge it.

This is the best test that is generally available. It will fail a battery with a dodgy cell.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 10:59:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by UncleGary [+]
This is the best test that is generally available. It will fail a battery with a dodgy cell.

Agree. Simply holding a multi meter across the terminals will not tell you how the battery performs under load.
At 5 years old in the UK I would be forking out for a new battery anyway regardless I think.

Offline Uczbpha

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 05:13:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
Agree. Simply holding a multi meter across the terminals will not tell you how the battery performs under load.
At 5 years old in the UK I would be forking out for a new battery anyway regardless I think.

Thanks, I reckon your right, its when under load that it plays up so I've ordered a new battery which I'll be picking up tomorrow. I've stuck with Yuasa as thats what I've had in all my previous bikes bar one, which was a JMT battery so I know they are good quality and reliable. I'm happy with 5 years service from a battery, was just unsure if the battery was the cause as she was firing up instantly and idling very smoothly.

Thanks for the help everyone, much appreciated.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 08:12:06 PM »
Yuasa are a reliable brand but they are no longer head and shoulders above others as they used to be. The quality of most batteries has risen in the last 20 years and Yuasa batteries and now made in the same low cost factories in China, Pakistan or India that other other brands are made in.

Online walker

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800xc
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 12:08:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]

that's about when my first one went out - looked good on a charger, but then it would sometimes start, other times not even enough to turn over the bike.

Offline Tiggerton

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: XRT 2018
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 09:11:00 PM »
Having studied many posts on several bike forums over the years I would say that Optimate or any other trickle charge battery tender/charger can be problematical.

My old Sprint GT had a 7 year old Yuasa battery installed and that did need a trickle charge with an old 5amp car battery charger once or twice over the winter period simply because of the drain imposed as result of having a Triumph badged alarm system installed.

My XRX and now my XRT (without an alarm system) have NEVER required any charging over the last 3 years winter months. WHY! Because I have a Healthy charging system on those bikes and a Healthy battery with minuscule drain.

Remember these modern sealed batteries (Yuasa) installed on my bikes impossible are to contaminate by dirty electrolyte which adds to their longevity.

If I had any electrical problems the first thing I would do is replace the battery and then check the charging of the battery by checking the voltage across the terminals on tickover. If you are desperate to hold on to your battery by all means test its volt drop by adding a ballast resistor across the terminals when measuring its voltage. I personally would replace it.
Dead Simple!

If I do have to charge a Flat battery here's what I do.
1) Charge at full rate for about 12 hours with my 5 amp rated charger. This charger is at least 30 years old and bought to charge my car battery. It can switch between 6 and 12 volt and has a High/Low charging facility.
2) Switch my charger from Full rate to Trickle rate for another 12 hours. Note: The trickle rate tends to equalise the charge across the battery plates.

Its worked for me over many years.
Regards

Honda 90 c200, Norton Dominator 99, Triumph (Saint) T110, Triumph 750 T140 ES, Triumph Bantam Cub, Triumph Tiger Cub, BSA 650 Golden Flash, Honda CBF 1000, Triumph Sprint GT, Tiger 800 XrX low. 2018 Tiger 800 XRT.

Offline Tenequip

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCx
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 12:49:02 AM »
Yes, you probably need a new battery. A charged battery should read 12.6 volts or better.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch