Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Standard seat comfort  (Read 1523 times)

Offline Tallpaul

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800XR
Standard seat comfort
« on: January 28, 2020, 09:20:41 AM »
I have a 2018 800, pre TFT screen. As far as I can see, the seat is the standard one from the factory. I find it mostly comfortable, but am feeling some tailbone pressure. Has anyone here tried trimming the foam to relieve the pressure with success? I think I may peel the cover back and undertake some minor surgery....

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: Standard seat comfort
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 09:47:28 AM »
This was a thing many moons ago. Flattening out the last couple of inches of the rider seat. Easy enough to do BUT you will need a heavy duty staple gun to reattach the cover.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline ColinXCX

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Tiger XCX
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 11:18:28 AM »
Im going to do mine, I find the curve at the rear of the seat very uncomfortable after about an hour.

Offline Johnjo

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 xrt
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 04:16:35 PM »
Are you talking about heated seats or not Paul ?

I find the heated one on my xrt bloody uncomfortable every where after an hour or so. On a longish  ride I now whack an old bit of sheepskin over the top. Thats much more comfortable  but not a long term solution. Seriously considering aftermarket before this years tour.

Offline Dick

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: tiger 800xR
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 10:32:34 PM »
I've just put my seat back on the higher setting,changes your relationship to the footrest ,might make the seat seems better? Just a thought.
just because you have your eyes open does not mean you are alive!

Online rubbertoe

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800 xca
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 11:56:43 PM »
My 2019 xca is the first bike since many previous ones that I cannot complain about the seat. Almost hard to believe that it does not hurt after a couple of hours. I've had to replace the seats on my last 3 and mostly for a small improvement. Too bad that with seats and windshields you are pretty much stuck with a no return policy and wind up eating them if they don't work out for you.

Offline Tallpaul

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 08:34:13 AM »
Thanks for the responses all. The seat is unheated and set on highest point, I am tall with 33" inside leg. I will have a go at cutting the foam at the weekend.

Offline tripletour

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: zx6r rd250 T800
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2020, 12:22:50 PM »
I modified my standard seat for tailbone comfort a few years ago.
I took the cover off  then cut a flat recess to put a gel insert from "bob the seat" on ebay. Cut out using an electric bread knife followed by a dremmel cutting disc. Put the gel pad in then a layer of 10mm foam carpet underlay, sprayed with adhesive, to blend in the contours before stapling the standard cover back on.
Miles better than standard and no pressure points to speak of.

Last year I also bought a coolcovers seat cover just before the hottest day of the year. It certainly did the trick regarding a cool posterier but also increased comfort as well. Recommended.

Offline Tallpaul

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 06:46:35 PM »
Thanks for the response tripletour.

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 11:35:30 PM »
On the gen 1 and 2 Tigers, there's a ridge at the rear of the seat pan that I found dug into me. I took the rear of the cover off, dremeled the ridge off the seat pan, and reattached the cover. Didn't make any changes to the foam. I imagine the gen 3 Tigers would be the same.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Recent Topics