Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What’s Up with Older Tigers .  (Read 2129 times)

Offline Tigermainia

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '18 XRt
Re: What’s Up with Older Tigers .
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2020, 01:11:08 PM »
I apologise in advance to Gen 1 Tiger owners but I had a loan bike when I had my Speed Triple in for a service (around 2010) and wasn't impressed. Then in 2015 a had a Gen 2 bike as a loan and loved it then bought one, huge improvement, had it for over three years, no problems. Then the Gen 3 came out and I had a test ride to see if all the hype was BS or not, and got a good deal on my XRt in Nov'18, it's better again.

If you have been on this forum before you purchased your Tiger I'm surprised you had not noticed the niggles with the Gen1. and asked the questions at that time!!!!!
From '61>present - '57 BSA C12, RE C/Sports, '59 Tiger 110, '61 T120R, '57 BMW R50, '76 GT185, '69 T120, KE 175, BMW R75, GSX750, FJ1200, XJR1300, FZ1000, '05 Sprint1050 & '08 Street Triple, Sprint1050, Speedtriple, Sprint1050, SprintGT, Trophy 1215, Speedtriple & '12 Bonne, '15 XRx,'18 XRt

Offline skidmark66

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2020, 07:35:51 AM »
Butt then again I have had mine from new 6 years and all I have had to change is tyres.
Way it goes I spose.

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2020, 09:46:43 AM »
9 years at the end of the month and see no reason to change yet. As previously stated by grizzlybear

Forum Paranoia Syndrome
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2020, 10:32:11 AM »
My chum who used to change bikes if the tyres were shot, bought a new '11 in babbies nappy colour & still got it, never a problem. Ridden in some shoite doing the Scottish rallies all year round, 8 times the SimmerDim (crazy fool). This convinced me to buy my '16 XRx.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2020, 11:24:13 AM »
*Originally Posted by Tigermainia [+]
I apologise in advance to Gen 1 Tiger owners but I had a loan bike when I had my Speed Triple in for a service (around 2010) and wasn't impressed. Then in 2015 a had a Gen 2 bike as a loan and loved it then bought one, huge improvement, had it for over three years, no problems. Then the Gen 3 came out and I had a test ride to see if all the hype was BS or not, and got a good deal on my XRt in Nov'18, it's better again.

If you have been on this forum before you purchased your Tiger I'm surprised you had not noticed the niggles with the Gen1. and asked the questions at that time!!!!!

What's funny is like you in 2013 I tested the Tiger and found it boring only to buy a MT-09 which had the worst suspensions I've had in a motorcycle, after 1 year I found the MT-09 throttle control so dangerous paired with the suspensions, that I sold it and I love that the 2018 Tiger has more character but still to me much nicer to ride than the CP3 from Yamaha.

Offline taff

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger XC
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2020, 11:49:42 AM »
I think the replies have already summed up the truth.

If the gear selector pin was going to break, it probably would have by now so isn't something that I'd be overly concerned about.
the starter motor issue only prevents the bike from starting when hot so you might find that you'll need a few minute break after filling up. not a problem if you're touring, time for a coffee and smoke?
stepper motor is just cleaning the linkage
reported random battery problems is quite possibly actually the starter motor problem (when the starter motor is playing up with the hot start, you hit the starter button and it sounds like the battery doesn't have power to turn the starter over)

my xc is on 56k and I've experienced all of these, but none of them stopped me riding like having a puncture did

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2020, 11:56:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]
9 years at the end of the month and see no reason to change yet. As previously stated by grizzlybear

Forum Paranoia Syndrome

ditto

Offline cat10

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800 abs
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2020, 12:22:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by taff [+]
I think the replies have already summed up the truth.

If the gear selector pin was going to break, it probably would have by now so isn't something that I'd be overly concerned about.
the starter motor issue only prevents the bike from starting when hot so you might find that you'll need a few minute break after filling up. not a problem if you're touring, time for a coffee and smoke?
stepper motor is just cleaning the linkage
reported random battery problems is quite possibly actually the starter motor problem (when the starter motor is playing up with the hot start, you hit the starter button and it sounds like the battery doesn't have power to turn the starter over)

my xc is on 56k and I've experienced all of these, but none of them stopped me riding like having a puncture did

Thanks Taff, nice to get some sound reassurance from someone who has gone through these problems.

"Forum Paranoia" or not, when you see lots of posts from different people on this forum and other forums about faults with your machine surely it gets you thinking.

Once again thanks Taff 

Offline taff

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger XC
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2020, 12:39:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by cat10 [+]
Thanks Taff, nice to get some sound reassurance from someone who has gone through these problems.

"Forum Paranoia" or not, when you see lots of posts from different people on this forum and other forums about faults with your machine surely it gets you thinking.

Once again thanks Taff

no worries, it's easy to get carried away with these reports.

for sense of ballance here's a full list of issues that I've had over 6 and a bit years and 56k miles (as far as I can remember)

insulation on 2 coils have broken down, causing slight engine vibration and slight backfiring. replaced
starter motor hot start, replaced
1 front brake calliper had a chunk break off causing a piston dust seal to be exposed, replaced
1 fork leg corroded all the way through allowing fluid leakage, replacement went badly and so had to replace tripple clamps as well
2x punctures
rear shock lost all damping at 36k miles(ish), replaced with a nitron
front brake disk bobbins excessively worn causing too much disk float, bobbins replaced
2 sets of chain & sprockets (1chain was ruined by a dealer pressure washing the crap out of it)

the only things that stopped me riding was the fork leg and punctures.

Offline skidmark66

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2020, 03:03:26 PM »
The way I have seen some of my mates stamp on the gear selector its no wonder they break. Im happy with mine it goes and its cheap and I have it just how I like it now so its a keeper.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch