Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hugger vs shock sock  (Read 321 times)

Offline skidmark66

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800
Hugger vs shock sock
« on: February 11, 2020, 08:29:19 AM »
Im off to Bike Show this weekend and getting a list of stuff to look out for.
Just want to keep as much crud off the shock really not bothered about having to wash down bike after use.
Im going to assume a sock is not waterproof so im thinking wouldn't be a good idea to leave it soaking wet for long periods of time.
Also looking for some nice aftermarket mirrors instead of the rusted crap I have on the bike so any advice on them as well would be nice.
Mark.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Re: Hugger vs shock sock
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 09:24:44 AM »
I fitted a hugger, then a shocksock, they help. Some of the boys have fitted this P/P shield & saved a bunch of squids.
https://pyramid-plastics.co.uk/collections/shock-shields/products/triumph-tiger-800-xr-xrt-xrx-low-shock-shield-matte-black-2010

Re Mirrors, I posted up recently, the OEM Aprilia Shiver mirrors are a straight replacement at 1/3 price of Triumph mirrors.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 10:43:32 AM »
In order of actual usefulness (best to worst):

1. Pyramid Plastics shield
2. Shock sock
3. a cuddly toy
4. Hugger
Lost again

Offline pme

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: xrx lrh 2018
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 11:30:48 AM »
+1 for pyramid plastic shield, easy to fit (do heed the warning about where to put the glue) pretty effective . No loss of access

just my two penneth worth

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 04:45:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by skidmark66 [+]
Im going to assume a sock is not waterproof so im thinking wouldn't be a good idea to leave it soaking wet for long periods of time.

It is normally made of neoprene  (i.e R&G), like a wet-suit, so doesn't absorb or hold water. I fitted mine 4yrs ago, soaking the shock in ACF50 first and occasionally (once a year at best  :164: ) spray some more around the top and allow it to soak its way down. Have never opened it up since fitting so no idea how the shock actually is under there.

Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Dazcoates

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xrt
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 06:08:19 PM »
It might have rusted away to nothingness. You have just got used to the feeling of no shocker.

Recent Topics