Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Wrecked Top Box Sliding Carrier Assembly  (Read 419 times)

Offline tony-the-tiger

• Tiger Member
  • What we do on Sundays - Mt Lemon Riders Group, AZ
  • Bike: 2015 800 XCX
Wrecked Top Box Sliding Carrier Assembly
« on: February 13, 2020, 02:48:27 PM »
As one of the gifts I received in thrashing my XCx against the rocks last Sunday, I get his problem:  Remarkably, there was not much more damage to the bike...this unit seemed to take the entire head-on thrust of the impact.  Now I'm shopping the sites all over for a replacement and cannot find the part number that matches my VIN.  Everyone advertises its for the "Expedition",  some say interchangeable with XC,  others by VIN going forward.  Nothing matches me.  I cannot believe such an item can be engineered and manufactured so differently for each machine....got to be interchangeable.  Triumph plays games with their part numbering system to promote the confusion.  I don't trust my dealer.  Or Triumph America.  (takes them a month for an answer)

My question:  Is there a chart indicating how this part interchanges with different models?

My VIN (last 7 numbers:  700334.  My Part No.  (A) 2353436

Once again....thanks for any forthcoming information.  This forum has been a blessing!
tony-the-tiger

Offline tony-the-tiger

• Tiger Member
Re: Wrecked Top Box Sliding Carrier Assembly
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 03:04:13 PM »
This post received from a Triumph Dealer ebay UK site:

Good afternoon
Nothing comes up when I search the part number A2353436 on the Triumph parts catalogue. The VIN you have provided is for a Tiger 800 XCX, there is a different expedition top box sliding carriage for this bike priced at 119.00. We just sold our last one yesterday but will have more in stock in a day or two.

If you are a person trained in specificity:  hard to take?
tony-the-tiger

Offline D6864

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: White XC
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 04:43:38 PM »
Searching for T2353436 brings up some relevant results  :002:

Offline tony-the-tiger

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 05:25:08 PM »
Now I have 2 answers:  I'm being told by an ebay seller (who also happens to be a Triumph dealer) in Europe the correct part number is A2353434.  Hypothesis:  Somewhere during the manufacturing/engineering processes, a modification was made,  not necessarily pertaining to fitment,  explaining the numbers variance.  Perhaps a bolt was too soft,  a washer thickness wrong,  a failing rubber grommet....the slider wasn't sliding properly.  Maybe the fitment really was changed for upgrades or changes in the frame construction.  It seems to me the question is fitment.  Does it fit the frame 2015 frame?  Does the slider base fit the $500 Top Box I already have?  What units are interchangeable?  I suspect the "Expedition" luggage systems sold with different Triumph models,  are manufactured by a contractor,  made to Triumph's specifications.  Look at the GIVI.  The pics of this unit are identical to Triumph's.  ( I know...you can't go by pics )

This get very confusing for my dumb ass.  :-)   Just trying to get the straight skinny...before I buy it for shipment across the Pacific or Atlantic oceans....only to find it doesn't fit...
tony-the-tiger

Offline Toontje

• Tiger Pro
  • Motorcycle instructor
  • Bike: 800 XRx 2016
Greets, Toontje

Offline tony-the-tiger

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 09:09:07 PM »
Thanks, Toontje  The 2013 is completely different.  Must have been from a different manufacturer.
tony-the-tiger

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 09:47:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by tony-the-tiger [+]
My question:  Is there a chart indicating how this part interchanges with different models?

My VIN (last 7 numbers:  700334.  My Part No.  (A) 2353436

Once again....thanks for any forthcoming information.  This forum has been a blessing!

It does appear there is a mix of info.
1. Go to https://www.triumphinstructions.com/default.aspx and enter A2353434 and use either the UK or USA flag and get the fitting instructions. These indicate that A2353434 fits all the Tigers basically, XR & XC, but also now has another number A9508207 shown on those latest instructions, possibly a supersede, which isn't on my 2015 paper copy. Have put the other number in the instruction link and it returns the same set of instructions so no idea what the difference is. Maybe A9508207 is designated for the XC range?

2. Strangely A2353434 is current on the 'World of Triumph' and 'Fowlers' parts lists against the 'Roadie' Tigers but their lists only show part numbers for the (plastic) Adventure luggage for the XC range. :187: :027:

3. I'm not aware of any difference in the XR and XC basic frame as such. The plastic 'Adventure' luggage shown for the XC is shown and fits the XR range of bikes? :027:

I suspect the "Expedition" luggage systems sold with different Triumph models,  are manufactured by a contractor,  made to Triumph's specifications.  Look at the GIVI.  The pics of this unit are identical to Triumph's.  ( I know...you can't go by pics )

Yes, the luggage is made by GIVI but with the fitting points all moved slightly so they don't interchange, however simple DIY modifications on the topbox carrier and pannier frames or boxes (can't remember which) means they can be switched.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 10:05:11 PM by Stevie.P »
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline tony-the-tiger

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 11:14:31 PM »
Wish I could go to the UK and buy Stevie P a tall one!!!!.  The answer I've been looking for.  Guess What:  Depending on which Series Luggage (Plastic or full metal) determines which Sliding Carrier unit you will use.  A2353434 appears to be the universal mount for all 800 Tiger models.  The differences are in the 1200 Tiger Explorer models.  Stevie P,  I looked under the top box itself and cannot find anything adjustable in the mounting, however the two receptor posts on the slider itself are bolt in and I suspect you could change their location by elongating the holes.  Also there is a section in the instructions indicating adjustment procedures.  Maybe there is enough play in the adjustments to make it work. The big question then is where and how much.  I don't think its worth the risk without this knowledge.  Get it wrong and your top box full of groceries ends up through someone's windshield.

If someone has this problem,  I'll keep the damaged slider assembly, I could measure the posts and make a cryptic diagram of the post locations  Anyone wants this, contact tony-the-tiger thought his forum.

Once again I thank Stevie P. and those behind the scenes who make this forum work.  It is an invaluable tool that helps make one of the great machines it is.
tony-the-tiger

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 11:53:38 PM »
The Triumph sliding carrier mod to accept a GIVI topbox is very simple ....  :028:
https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,27106.msg294948.html#msg294948

.... and similarly to fit GIVI panniers to the Triumph pannier racks needs an achievable DIY mod which is described somewhere in the past (had a quick unsuccessful search). I think you cut/grind a couple of lugs off the pannier box mounting rail that then allows the GIVI pannier locating lugs to fit the Triumph frames.  :084:

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2020, 12:02:13 AM »
Wish I could go to the UK and buy Stevie P a tall one!!!!.

I'd sooner go to AZ (though already ticked off my list) and not sure if you would have it in AZ, finding Cider is hard enough in most states in the USA (on draught even harder) but make mine a 20oz Angry Orchard cider with cinnamon top, thanks.  :031:

Recent Topics