Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Spare key just to open the top box and panniers  (Read 910 times)

Offline RolandN

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2019 XRt
Spare key just to open the top box and panniers
« on: February 18, 2020, 05:34:19 PM »
So many times I've started the bike to warm it up and then realised that I need to access one of the boxes.  I thought to reduce the hassle and get a spare key made just for the boxes.  I don't want to take my original spare key out with me.  Today a number of key/lock shops said they can't do it, despite me saying that I'm not bothered about the existence of a security chip.  I did have the same thing for my Tiger Sport so I know it can be done.  Has anyone in the UK had one made?
2019 Tiger 800 XRt
Previous: Tiger 1050 Sport; Tiger 800ABS; Sprint 1050; Sprint 995; Speed Triple 1050; Speed Triple 995.... (and many more)

Offline rozzer

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '16 1050 Sport
Re: Spare key just to open the top box and panniers
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 06:46:11 PM »

Go to a good vehicle locksmith,the locks are  made by Zadi and are used on loads of Italian motorhomes,you should have no problem getting a blank cut from one of them.

Offline RolandN

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2019 XRt
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 08:15:52 PM »
Ah of course! I even know where there is one. I just remembered I did exactly the same thing on my Tiger Sport over 4 years ago. Thank you!
2019 Tiger 800 XRt
Previous: Tiger 1050 Sport; Tiger 800ABS; Sprint 1050; Sprint 995; Speed Triple 1050; Speed Triple 995.... (and many more)

Offline Nick_2112

• Tiger Master
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 12:39:02 PM »
Yes got one done for very same reason.
Went to a good key stall on a market day, in my case The Keybar NW Ltd. they have a website.

IIRC it cost 4.

HTH

Offline Earl

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xc
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 12:49:25 PM »
I just got a new key cut so I can sell my old plastic panniers  10 quid online done from a picture of my key I kid you not

Offline Matchbox

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 18 Tiger XRT
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 04:15:57 PM »
Personally I prefer boxes that can be left unlocked! Locking is then optional...

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 12:44:19 PM »
It's good from a convenience point of view, but when I had Givi panniers I found it all too easy to switch the ignition off, get something out of the panniers and walk away with the Givi key in hand and the bike key still in the ignition  :156:

As Earl above, when I sold the panniers on my old T800 I got a blank key off eBay for a few quid and had it cut at a local car accessory shop  :028:
Now available in "Batman"

Offline dan2604

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2020, 01:31:56 PM »
I got a key cut for this purpose in my local branch of Timpson's. Once I explained that I didn't need it for the ignition they were very helpful and even let me take it home to make sure it fitted before I had to pay for it! When touring I find it much handier to use the 'spare' than the ignition key when opening the panniers.

Offline deefer45

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger 800
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 10:36:02 AM »
Yes had the same conversation with the locksmith when I sold my top box, once Id explained that the key wont be used as an ignition key its just for opening luggage then no issues with cutting me one.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch