Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Sliding Carriage Removal  (Read 347 times)

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
Sliding Carriage Removal
« on: February 21, 2020, 05:49:54 PM »
I've just bought a 2017 800 XCA but, since I never intend to fit a top box, I would like to remove the aluminium sliding carriage for it. Does anyone know how to do this and, if I do remove it, will I then need to replace the plastic cover underneath which will then have quite a few holes in it?
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline steve@lincs

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
Re: Sliding Carriage Removal
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 11:58:45 PM »
It is straightforward to unbolt.  Kind has the  standard plastic plate between the carrier and the bike, so you will have holes in it.  but was it was designed this way, just get some grommets, or a nice piece of cheese....

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 06:26:52 AM »
It looked as though it should be straightforward but it isn't clear how the plate is held on. There are half a dozen or so countersunk socket screws which look as though they hold the plate on - they rotate but don't unscrew fully and I came to the conclusion that there might be nuts underneath which are simply rotating. Beneath the plate, there are four flanged bolts which look as though they should hold the plastic cover on but, again, when I loosened them, nothing came loose.

If rotating nuts is the problem then it looks as though I'd have to remove the whole assembly but it isn't clear how this is held on? Surely, the strength of the top box mounting is not down to the strength of the plastic cover to which the aluminium plate is attached?

Offline Reyno99

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2019 XCA
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 09:46:17 AM »

Offline steve@lincs

• Tiger Master
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 09:47:24 AM »
I'll have a look at mine and put some photos on later today.   I've had mine off a number of times and there are no nuts underneath, just threads into a heavy metal plate (  4 x13 mm heads) and x4 smaller (?8mm bolts) which I think hold the plastic plate.  ( also the grab handle, but can't remember exactly how)
If yours is turning all  I can  think is are you using a "standard" size socket?  I seem to recall I needed a longer socket as the head doesn't engage otherwise!

Offline steve@lincs

• Tiger Master
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 09:55:59 AM »
Just read reyno99' s comment and there are two nuts! I should have said mine is a 2013 and the lip where the bolts are is intact on mine!,just the  4 x4 bolts.🤔

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 10:14:04 AM »
Many thanks for all the feedback - it's much appreciated. I saw the fitting instructions but it's still hard to work out what's going on from it.

I'll have another go later but after the previous attempt, the 6 x countersunk socket screws now continue to rotate when I try to do them up - they don't give the impression that they are screwing into something metal underneath the plastic cover.

Offline Reyno99

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2019 XCA
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 10:24:13 AM »
Let me know if you want to sell the carriage assembly. Could let you have my rear plastic cover from my 2019 XCA to replace the carriage.

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 02:27:58 PM »
I got there in the end - just needed to remove the 4 x M6 and 2 x M8 bolts. Hadn't appreciated it comes away as a complete assembly. With it off, I was then able do up the nuts on the back of the countersunk screws that I had tried to undo at the start of this undertaking. For the time being, I'm going to leave the sliding carriage on but may be willing to swap for a plain cover once I've got some miles ridden on the bike. Again, thanks for everybody's help.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch