Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Garage Service or DIY  (Read 570 times)

Offline pennpeel

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Triumph 800 xc
Garage Service or DIY
« on: February 21, 2020, 06:55:47 PM »
Ive always taken my bike/car to a car garage or bike garage. But the other week I decided to change the radiator fluid. I read it was due every so many years. 

The last service I had he changed brake fluid but not radiator fluid don't quite know why he didn't.  Quite a simple job really, then I thought how about change the air filter, which led to me cleaning and checking the pads. I then thought should I just change the oil myself and do a few other things at the same time. I'm sure I'd be a little more thorough (I spend time cleaning and greasing as I go) than a garage anyway.

When I look what they do for a service on the bill they certainly don't follow Triumph's service schedule. Sorry if this is getting long winded :)

The point really is if I do the service myself I no longer have a full service history although I will have receipts for oil, filters ect. Will this make much difference when I eventually sell it?  The  bikes one of the first Tigers, 2012 low mileage not due the valve check yet. No plans to trade in for a few years yet anyway.  I always used to do basic's on my cars when I was younger due to cost, then got a little wealthier and I suppose lazier and started using garages. Quite enjoyed doing the work a bit of satisfaction. 

Appreciate any thoughts!  Oh and really big thanks to Muddy Sump and many other youtube people who make things so much easier than the days of greasy Haynes Manuals.

Offline philmcglass

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Mine's a pint
  • Bike: Tiger XRX 2016
Re: Garage Service or DIY
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 11:57:31 PM »
Make a note in the Service record with mileage and date.
If you have the receipts to back it up most folk will accept that.
I think you can download a service sheet from forum

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php?topic=24087.0
Find the Line

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 06:48:20 AM »
I bought my relatively low mileage 2017 800 XCA earlier this week and, to be honest, seeing a full service history wasn't a pre-requisite to buying it. By the time a bike reaches 5 years old, I definitely think the expectation of seeing of a full service history quickly diminishes and, as a buyer, it then comes down to trying to assess how well the last owner has looked after it. Having a record of what servicing was done to the bike (receipts for oil, filters, etc) clearly helps but, for me, it normally comes down to what the external condition of the bike is like which is a clue to how well it might have been maintained internally.
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline dorsetboy

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger XRT
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 05:07:36 PM »
I do intrim oil and filter changes between dealer services and note the works with date and mileage in the service book and clip the reciepts to the book. Just doing a 18K now myself and everthing is logged.
I done this when I had the Beemers and the buyers were very happy with the service books I had kept as such.
Loose Lips Sink Ships

Recent Topics

winded-staunch