Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Point and Shoot Camera with Usb charging  (Read 688 times)

Offline kokkios

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2016 Tiger800XRT
Point and Shoot Camera with Usb charging
« on: February 22, 2020, 06:22:35 AM »
Its been a long time since i had a camera but with my summer trip coming up and my phone not especially good at taking photos i a looking to carry a point and shoot camera.

Problem is most need a charger that will only connect to the wall to charge the battery. Camping most of the trip will make things difficult

So my question is... is there a budget camera that will charge its battery through usb while inside the camera? 

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 800
Re: Point and Shoot Camera with Usb charging
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 08:37:23 AM »
Yes, I use a Panasonic Lumix "TZ**" pocket camera, any of the TZ range gives good results and they charge via a USB cable.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 08:59:05 AM »
*Originally Posted by kokkios [+]
Problem is most need a charger that will only connect to the wall to charge the battery. Camping most of the trip will make things difficult

Not correct. Many if not most 2020 model cameras in this category use USB C to charge. Canon, Fuji, Sony, Nikon and Panasonic all offer similar cameras with USB charging.

Offline kokkios

• Tiger Master
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 09:10:39 AM »
Really? Any model in particular you recommend? I was completely unaware of that. Will browse on the net..see if you are right

Thank you mcinlb for the suggestion

Offline Grumps

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2018 800 Xca
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 10:32:04 AM »
I've had a Sony DSC-HX9V for years.

Great camera that I can't tell the difference in picture quality versus my Nikon digital cameras.

Can charge from a USB or wall charger.

Not cheap, but worth the money.
2018 Xca.  Suzuki GT380. Yamaha Xmax

If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer

Offline UncleGary

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 02:21:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by kokkios [+]
Really? Any model in particular you recommend? I was completely unaware of that. Will browse on the net..see if you are right

Thank you mcinlb for the suggestion

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-cameras-for-travel

I have found their reviews and information to be reliable and well organized. Don't take the comment sections too seriously. They can have a lot of comments complaining that a $300 camera just doesn't measure up the some camera that cost $600 more. Also, a recent used camera can be a good choice to save some money.

Offline nobsta

• Tiger Master
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 04:16:58 PM »
Most of the point and shoot cameras I had had over the last 10 or so years could be charged with usb. Maybe find one with a removable battery and take a spare.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 10:59:26 PM »

For me from that list I would use the Fuji X100F, I already have a X100s and use it a lot on motorcycle trips but its not really what most would think of as a p&s camera.
From that list my recommendation for somebody looking for a p&s camera to use on a motorcycle trip would be either the Canon PowerShot G7 or the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 VI simply because of their form factor. They are smallish can easily be carried in a pocket and used with one hand and will produce acceptable results without being brilliant which is all you can expect in that price and physical size range.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2020, 08:33:47 AM »
I have a Nikon Coolpix S3700, USB charging. Had it 6 or 7 years now, never needed to re-charge it on a 3 week tour with up to 150 pics taken.

Takes half decent pics.

Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline kokkios

• Tiger Master
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 02:07:14 PM »
Some really interesting suggestions but kind of pricey for my budget. I am leaning towards the Sony DSC WX350 or DSCWX500 with tilting screen.
Dont really want to spend more than 200 pounds

Recent Topics

winded-staunch