Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear Chain Replacement  (Read 1544 times)

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
Rear Chain Replacement
« on: February 23, 2020, 06:41:22 AM »
I bought my 2017 800 XCa last week and spent the weekend giving it a thorough check over. Everything was fine for this 11k miles bike except for the rear chain which I found was close to its service limit (319 mm over 20 links and not much adjustment range left). This is an O-ring chain and, despite the rest of the bike being in almost new condition, I was surprised by how short a life the chain has had.

I am going to renew the chain and sprockets but was wondering what people's views are of switching to an X-ring chain which is supposed to have a greater lifetime? Is there any downside to this type of chain?
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline julianhj

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger 800
Re: Rear Chain Replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 08:15:26 AM »
There have been quite a few posts on this subject in the past, with varying views. I kept seeing the DID 525 VX chain and JT sprockets being recommended. When I replaced mine I did so with that combination, which I bought from Wemoto. Its been absolutely fine.

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 08:38:05 AM »
That was what I was looking to go for but I thought I would ask other people's views first. However, am still surprised that the original chain only lasted 11k miles as I would have thought at least 20k would be nearer the norm. The bike was otherwise very well looked after and so it's difficult to see what could have caused the chain to wear out prematurely?

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 08:56:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by awjdthumper [+]
That was what I was looking to go for but I thought I would ask other people's views first. However, am still surprised that the original chain only lasted 11k miles as I would have thought at least 20k would be nearer the norm. The bike was otherwise very well looked after and so it's difficult to see what could have caused the chain to wear out prematurely?

Lack of cleaning & lube or being over tightened. Mine has done 11k, still like new, oiler fitted.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 11:52:50 AM »
.. This is an O-ring chain .

I am going to renew the chain and sprockets but was wondering what people's views are of switching to an X-ring chain which is supposed to have a greater lifetime? Is there any downside to this type of chain?

Yes the factory fit the cheapest and basic chain. Definitely (IMO) go for the X-ring chain.  :028:

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,24021.0.html

In 7k since fitting I have twice tweaked the chain adjusters, maybe 1/2 a turn on the bolts each occasion, whereas the original chain only lasted 14k total.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 04:03:07 PM »
Many thanks for all the feedback. I'm going to assume the quality of the original fitted chain was to blame for the short lifetime as I think the bike was regularly serviced and looked after. I will now fit a new chain and sprockets but does anyone have any recommendations for a reasonably priced chain riveting tool?

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 04:08:49 PM »
Many thanks for all the feedback. I'm going to assume the quality of the original fitted chain was to blame for the short lifetime as I think the bike was regularly serviced and looked after. I will now fit a new chain and sprockets but does anyone have any recommendations for a reasonably priced chain riveting tool?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AFAM-Motorcycle-Bike-Drive-Chain-Riveting-Press-Tool-for-DID-D-I-D-RK-CZ-JT/223017153548?epid=6011049951&hash=item33ecdbb40c:g:q3AAAOSw3bxbIYHw
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 04:22:57 PM by Paulhere »

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 06:54:06 PM »
That one looks as though it would do a good job of riveting but I also need to split the old chain so need a combined tool. I've now ordered one which looks as though it will do the job but will have to see how long it is likely to last!

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2020, 07:16:44 PM »
That one looks as though it would do a good job of riveting but I also need to split the old chain so need a combined tool. I've now ordered one which looks as though it will do the job but will have to see how long it is likely to last!

Ok, you just said riveting tool, assumed you had a splitter.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 07:51:40 PM »
... will have to see how long it is likely to last!

As was mentioned at least twice in the link I gave above, always grind the head off the rivet you wish to split, don't try to use the tool straight away, and it should then last for a few chains at least even if cheap. :028:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Recent Topics

winded-staunch