Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What grease to use on slider pins?  (Read 3347 times)

Offline nobsta

• Tiger Master
What grease to use on slider pins?
« on: February 23, 2020, 09:55:16 AM »
Hi, can anyone tell me what grease is best to use on brake calliper slider pins? I always used standard grease without any issue but the new Brembo fronts don't seem to like it. Is red rubber grease any good or should I use a silicone based grease? Basically I fitted some new ebc pads and with the pistons pushed back fully there is very little clearance between the piston and the disc so the slinder needs to work to its fullest extent. Its a job I've done many times before so I am quite familiar with the procedure but first time with the Brembo's.

Offline Tallpaul

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800XR
Re: What grease to use on slider pins?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 10:53:11 AM »
I have used Copaslip for many years with success. Other copper based greases are available!

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 11:59:00 AM »
:0461:   I also use Copaslip.

I personally only apply red brake grease to brake seals and similar hydraulic components that come in contact with brake fluid when overhauling and fitting new.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline nobsta

• Tiger Master
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 12:05:10 PM »
thanks for you reply's. I have some red grease and copperslip but I read that they are both the wrong things for the slider pins. (The internet can be a dangerous thing :)). I since found this on fleebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-BREMTECH-BRAKE-SILICONE-GREASE-SLIDER-PIN-GUIDE-TUBE-GREASE-SG3A/331668803131?epid=27003992822&hash=item4d39004e3b:g:ZPwAAOSwgZdakC~N

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 12:19:32 PM »
If applied sensibly (same on rear of brake pads) as a very tiny dab and then spread over the surface to only form a coating with no excess then it shouldn't come in to contact with any seals. To date I've seen no adverse effects on any rubber boots or similar (not that much is actually rubber in reality . like tyres those days are pretty much history).
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 12:20:38 PM »
I use silicone brake calliper grease, it's compatible with the rubber seals & bellows.

I thought copper grease was mineral based so attacks rubber.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 12:38:27 PM »
They don't need anything, nor do the backs of the pads.

However, if you feel the need, a smear (wipe in on, wipe it off) of a high temp grease is unlikely to cause any issues.
If they're threaded, I tend to put a tiny amount of copper grease on the threads only
The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline UncleGary

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 12:45:12 PM »
The Triumph shop manual cautions:
No lithium or copper based grease should be used near hydraulic or dust seals;
Silicone grease is spec'd for sliding section of bolt and the outside of the sleeve;
Copaslip or similar high temperature grease is mentioned for the brake pad retention pin.

This is from the first Tiger800 XC manual.

Offline nobsta

• Tiger Master
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2020, 12:52:45 PM »
UncleGary that's what I suspected. Ive never had any know issue just using standard grease to lube the sliders on Triumph callipers to date but the standard Triumph calipers have plenty of lateral movement even after fitting new pads however the Brembo ones have very little movement.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 01:42:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by nobsta [+]
UncleGary that's what I suspected. Ive never had any know issue just using standard grease to lube the sliders on Triumph callipers to date but the standard Triumph calipers have plenty of lateral movement even after fitting new pads however the Brembo ones have very little movement.

Standard lithium grease makes the slider rubbers expand letting water & crud in. I had it on my Yam traillie when I first got it, had to replace them, been no problem since using the silicone calliper grease for the past 6 years.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch