Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What grease to use on slider pins?  (Read 3346 times)

Online tigerman1960

• Tiger Member
  • Ride triumph, for the journey ahead
  • Bike: tiger800 XCA
Re: What grease to use on slider pins?
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2020, 11:19:14 AM »
i am talking about the pad retaining pins that are made of steel and rust and deteriorate quite quickly due the crud they get splattered with,i fitted stainless ones, then a smear of copperslip on the threads, and a smear on the treads of the grub screw that covers the hole they pull out of, but you are right, copperslip is often used to help prevent seizing and corrosion at high temperatures in the automotive industry, so a smear on the pins stop them from corroding.
never ride faster than you can think

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2020, 11:38:27 AM »
Do I understand right what you call pins are the bolts holding the calipers ? If so, everywhere in my country, people will use blue loctite on these, because we sure don't want to lose calipers when riding, why would you put grease there, I must say I am quite puzzled here !?

The loctite prevents sh*t and corrosion in the thread as well BTW.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 11:42:21 AM by Djairouks »

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2020, 11:57:18 PM »
This thread is about the long pins that hold the brake pads, not the calipers.

Chico

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2020, 06:31:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by chico [+]

Chico

What a pin is in my native language (I'm not English...), I don't see where one would be in a modern caliper only things that screw, just a matter of language, but whatever I'll stick to my lubrication process.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2020, 07:24:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by chico [+]

Chico

No it isn't. It's about the slider pins. FFS this thread needs deleting, so many people don't understand what are slider pins.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2020, 08:32:28 AM »
Well maybe instead of asking a delete or complain, give a clear picture showing what the hell these things are, would be smart because it doesn't seem very clear for everyone.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 08:37:16 AM by Djairouks »

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2020, 08:47:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
No it isn't. It's about the slider pins. FFS this thread needs deleting, so many people don't understand what are slider pins.

This has been explained enough times already on this thread, if people still don't understand maybe best not to comment. Google is your friend.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2020, 08:50:34 AM »
There are the brake pad retaining pins that also have the retainer caps to avoid them coming out .... and there are the caliper sliding pins or caliper retaining bolts if you wish. I prefer to refer to them as sliding pins as that is what they allow the caliper to do, although very importantly they also hold the caliper on. So the discussion is about should you put any, and if so what, lubrication on the slider/caliper pins (and loctite on the threads if you feel the need).
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 08:52:09 AM by Stevie.P »
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2020, 10:33:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
There are the brake pad retaining pins that also have the retainer caps to avoid them coming out .... and there are the caliper sliding pins or caliper retaining bolts if you wish. I prefer to refer to them as sliding pins as that is what they allow the caliper to do, although very importantly they also hold the caliper on. So the discussion is about should you put any, and if so what, lubrication on the slider/caliper pins (and loctite on the threads if you feel the need).

Hahah gotcha ! Thank you for the explanation it's not like it was complicated, in french the pin is what would be the safety at the end of what you call sliding pins, the sliding pins is called brake pads axles in french, hence why the confusion no need to delete a thread I think...

Doesn't change what I said though, wouldn't use copper grease and risk it gets on the brake pad for the reasons said earlier, nothing heat related rather corrosion, I would therefore use any ceramic lubricant, if there would not be any safeties at the ends, I would blue loctite it, but on my brembos there's the safety so no need.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 10:35:05 AM by Djairouks »

Online tigerman1960

• Tiger Member
  • Ride triumph, for the journey ahead
  • Bike: tiger800 XCA
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2020, 07:40:25 PM »
sorry my mistake  :087: :087: i got it wrong, i use red or silicone grease on the sliders, any other will make the rubber boots expand, just bought another tin of silicone grease off e bay for a few quid, will last ages.............. sorry again, slap me when you see me  :112:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silicone-Grease-No2-50g-Water-resistant-Multi-Purpose-Lubricant-for-rubber-Etc/391684202194?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
never ride faster than you can think

Recent Topics