Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Beeline Moto  (Read 2502 times)

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: Beeline Moto
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2020, 03:40:25 PM »
You are correct. The Beeline display is just that. The app does the mapping / importing (gpx).
Personally I can create a route on the app quicker than doing so in openrouteservice.org or similar and then exporting gpx etc etc.
Once route is calculated you can either leave data on thus allowing instant recalculation if you off route or turn data off. If you off route with data off then the display shows an outline arrow pointing back to where you left the route, plus distance. If you rejoin the route without doubling back the route continues as normal (arrow becomes solid again and distance etc to next turn reappear).

Spot the Beeline
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline Q

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XCA
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2020, 03:55:50 PM »
ta - bought it based on the comments/recommendations in this forum - can't wait to give it a whirl once China gets it to the UK and the UK gets it to the southern end of Africa  :001:
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2020, 09:26:21 PM »
 :028:

Offline Q

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2020, 02:14:56 PM »
@KildareMan - got the Beeline and I thank you for the recommendation.

A fabulous piece of kit - does exactly what it says on the tin and I followed your lead with the mount - perfect position and money well spent.

Can't wait for Feb 2021 when we marshal the 6,000 km Solar Challenge here in South Africa - all the gpx files for the route loaded onto a non-SIM cellphone and hooked up to Beeline.

Found that gpx files developed in Garmin BaseCamp/MapSource, do not import properly into Beeline when imported as "routes" (in BaseCampese) - no problem however when the same files are imported as "tracks"?? Reported it to Beeline and waiting for a response.
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2020, 03:46:57 PM »
I do my routes purely on the phone now. Very easy to do. I found several sites that you could create a route then send to myself as agox. Works well.

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800 Roadie, 2013
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2020, 04:59:16 PM »
just out of curiosity: does the device or the mobile phone app eat garmin gpx files made with Basecamp? if so does it follow the route exactly as planned in basecamp or does it just use the waypoints and shapingpoints and then route its own route?
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2020, 08:21:11 PM »
Someone else will have to answer that as I don't have any Garmin products on any pc / laptop / tablet.

To expand on earlier post I've used below on pc then export route as gpx to my email.
openrouteservice.org
can use avoid types
drag route
easiest for lat long entry

But I've found it just as easy to do directly in phone in Beeline app.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 08:24:34 PM by KildareMan »

Offline Q

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2020, 12:37:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by Derchef1962 [+]
just out of curiosity: does the device or the mobile phone app eat garmin gpx files made with Basecamp? if so does it follow the route exactly as planned in basecamp or does it just use the waypoints and shapingpoints and then route its own route?

tested a BaseCamp gpx route this morning to answer your question and Beeline picked up the route as imported perfectly - the route was imported as a "track" and not a BaseCamp route as there seems to be an issue with importing BC "routes" (as I mentioned above)

deliberately did not start at the starting point of the route as I wanted to test what happens when I eventually intersect the imported route.  Beeline pointed me in the direction of the starting point while en route and immediately recognised/picked-up the route once I intersected it with accurate directions for the remainder of the route.

checked the BaseCamp file and I did not put in any additional way/shaping points in it prior to exporting it as a gpx file - the fact that Beeline accurately followed the planned route, might be explained by the fact that importing the route as a "track" from BaseCamp, is literally the equivalent of drawing a pencil line on the map.

very happy that BeeLine accurately gave directions (from the intersection point on the route) from a static route-map on my phone irrespective of the fact that I deliberately chose to intersect the route instead of starting from the start waypoint

I have reported the fact that Beeline does not seem to import BaseCamp routes in "route" format properly and Beeline has undertaken to investigate and revert. That said, the Beeline app makes it pretty easy to plan routes on the the app itself - our marshalling and dirt routes are however a bit convoluted in some instances especially for the MTB events and hence I prefer to plan routes in BaseCamp/MapSource and export to Beeline

trust this gives you confidence to trust Beeline as a primary navigation device :-) - I certainly do

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800 Roadie, 2013
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2020, 08:29:15 PM »
thanks for your reply I was thinking about to use bee line as a second sat nav to used on my bobber as I cannot get a proper power supply to my Garmin there, do not want to install the powered bracket and you cannot use the USB port of the device while it sits in the bracket, complete stupid design. Garmin battery lasts about 4 hrs, then I have to charge it. It does work but is not really comfortable.

So the idea is to use already planned routes from basecamp there, it seems to work.

Guess the import as a track means it uses a lot of waypoints but as you say once you start the route after the starting point it does not take you back to the starting what the Garmin device will do if you do jump to the next waypoint.Clever design
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Offline Q

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2020, 07:19:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by Derchef1962 [+]
thanks for your reply I was thinking about to use bee line as a second sat nav to used on my bobber as I cannot get a proper power supply to my Garmin there. Clever design

using the Beeline with the small handlebar mount which attaches by way of elastic bands, should be the perfect solution for your Bobber :-)

Recent Topics

winded-staunch