Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Idle sitting at 2K RPM, lights pulsing  (Read 390 times)

Offline julianhj

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger 800
Idle sitting at 2K RPM, lights pulsing
« on: February 26, 2020, 10:49:50 AM »
I've recently had a few running issues - first the stepper motor, which when investigated a running issue materialized where the bike would hesitate significantly whilst accelerating through 2k-2.5k RPM. The mechanic identified that the throttle bodies were out of balance and changed the spark plugs, whicch whilst only six months old had some rust on them. The hesitation issue remained so the mechanic added some injector cleaner to the fuel and suggested putting a couple of tanks of super unleaded through it, in case it was a bad batch of fuel.

I've ridden it 100 miles since, during which at idle I noticed the screen backlight and neutral light flickering/pulsing and after riding a few miles the idle was sitting between 1900-2100 RPM. I let the bike idle from cold this morning for about 30 minutes; it sat at 1100 RPM but I noticed it was hunting slightly and the position light was noticeably pulsing as the revs rose and fell a couple of times a second. As soon as I started riding the hesitation appeared to be sorted, however within a mile the idle had risen to around 2K RPM

In addition to this (and possibly unrelated?) my fuel gauge is disappearing at each start, before climbing very slowly over a couple of miles (not rising at all during the 30 minutes idle), and the fuel pump is taking around 10 seconds to prime (continuous whirring for around 10 seconds on turning the key).

I realise I may have several issues - can anyone suggest solutions before I go back to the mechanic? 

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
Re: Idle sitting at 2K RPM, lights pulsing
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 10:53:29 AM »
Put a meter on your battery when the engine is running and check the voltage. You should see 13~15Vdc with the engine running at 2000rpm.

Could be a faulty rectifier/regulator which can be costly if not sorted.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 10:56:45 AM by T800XC »

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline julianhj

• Tiger Master
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 12:24:30 PM »
Thanks, I had thought it could be related to that, but I don't have enough knowledge and experience with it. I've got a 25 mile ride home today (hopefully that will be okay), at which point I'll be able to put a multimeter on it.

Offline julianhj

• Tiger Master
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 07:08:30 PM »
The hesitation issue reappeared as soon as I started the bike to come home. The high idle issue did not reappear, and when I checked the battery it was 12.98v with the engine off, ~14.5v at idle (1200 RPM) and 14.5-15.5v at 2000 RPM.

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 09:17:38 PM »
Have a close look and check all the tubes connected to the MAP (manifold air pressure) and throttle bodies. A small crack or some damage causing a vacuum leak could cause the problems you describe. Just an idea.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 09:22:50 PM »
yes, possibly two unrelated problems, electrical and hesitation. My previous comment re: the MAP addressed hesitation/idling.
wrt electrical, it does seen like the supply voltage is dropping out if your gauges are resetting. If your battery is old/faulty this could happen in spite of your regulator's best efforts. A bad battery can present a large load on the supply circuit.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 09:27:21 PM by chuckxc »
Laterally unstable unless moving.

Offline julianhj

• Tiger Master
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 04:29:35 PM »
Quick update - the issue was the reg/rec, which has now been replaced and the bike is running fine again.

Thanks for your assistance!

Online tigerman1960

• Tiger Member
  • Ride triumph, for the journey ahead
  • Bike: tiger800 XCA
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 04:09:11 PM »
Glad to here you got it sorted, I had exactly the same problems and a new reg/rec from triumph on line/square deals sorted it, and I ran with no problems for another 12,000 till I sold it last year and bought a 2017 XCA
never ride faster than you can think

Recent Topics