Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cleaning Exhaust pipes  (Read 759 times)

Offline Limshki

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
Cleaning Exhaust pipes
« on: February 27, 2020, 08:45:26 AM »
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I can't find any recent posts on the subject.

I want to give my exhaust pipes under the radiator a good seeing to and I'm getting conflicting advice from YouTube/Internet/friends etc. I was thinking of giving it the HARPIC X10 treatment as it looks quick and effective but I've been told the particular acid in that can harm them metal. I'll definitely be using Autosol on it as I've had good results from that on the Exhaust itself and belly pan, but the pipes will need something much stronger to get rid of that brown, rough layer or dirt before i start polishing.

Any recommendations/advice/do's/do not's?
Cheers

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Re: Cleaning Exhaust pipes
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 10:41:35 AM »
Chlorine attacks Stainless steel. Check out products before use.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline bucksfizz

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 18 Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 10:53:25 AM »
I use Harpic X10 on both my Tiger and Speed Twin with excellent results.
When I bought the Speed Twin with 800 miles on the clock, the exhaust pipes were quite brown:

but now they sparkle:

(Ignore the change of silencer.)

Having known about this product for some time, Delboy now espouses its use:

/>
Just make sure you're careful with where it goes - I use a rag and use the product sparingly.

Offline Limshki

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 11:19:49 AM »
Have you got any before/after pics of the tiger? Yes I'll be covering the parts surrounding the pipes and wont leave the solution on for a long time as I've heard that can damage the metal.

Nice to see it works on the SpeedTwin though  :152:

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 12:30:47 PM »
The natural barrier that protects the pipes is a very thin layer of oxide, so if you've got straw, or blue colouring to your exhaust then leave well alone, that's how it's supposed to be.

The dark brown discolouration is again fine, but if you really must the Harpic trick is better than a mechanical abrasive like Autosol, just don't get it on any painted parts, or bare aluminium and wash off thoroughly with COLD water.

If you have lumps of rust developing then Harpic is unlikely to do anything other than removing very light surface rust, anything else you will have to clean off with Autosol, or similar.

Don't leave them shiny, or you'll have to redo them every month(ish), when cleaned and dry go for a good long run, this will encourage the oxide layer to "grow back".

Most of all, get out and ride at every opportunity, regular use and occasional cleaning with Muc-Off (or similar) with a good coating of GT85 (or similar) except the brake discs, is all you need, you don't see car drivers doing anything like this  :028:
Now available in "Batman"

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 12:56:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by Limshki [+]
Have you got any before/after pics of the tiger? Yes I'll be covering the parts surrounding the pipes and wont leave the solution on for a long time as I've heard that can damage the metal.

Nice to see it works on the SpeedTwin though  :152:
On my BMW that I replaced with my 800 XCa, I decided to clean the exhaust pipes and silencers. Tried the Harpic method which was partly successful but not good enough to restore clean metal work. I also found Autosol was just not up to the job no matter how hard you rub and, in the end, I used my polishing wheel which returned the metal to almost new condition. However, as said, the oxidation process can't be stopped even with stainless steel and after a few months the oxide starts to build up again.
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline handyandy1

• Tiger Cub

Online Tiggerton

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: XRT 2018
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 10:38:20 PM »
If it rusts it aint stainless. Well. not Sheffield stainless.
Honda 90 c200, Norton Dominator 99, Triumph (Saint) T110, Triumph 750 T140 ES, Triumph Bantam Cub, Triumph Tiger Cub, BSA 650 Golden Flash, Honda CBF 1000, Triumph Sprint GT, Tiger 800 XrX low. 2018 Tiger 800 XRT.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 07:51:57 AM »
Repeated heat cycles turn st/st pipes a nice golden colour just like chromed steel pipes have a blue hue, close to the head. Best left alone imo, each to their own.

https://www.bssa.org.uk/topics.php?article=140

Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2020, 08:19:16 AM »
Having known about this product for some time, Delboy now espouses its use:

That's the best reason I've heard so far not to use it
The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Recent Topics