Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Luggage clean  (Read 844 times)

Offline Phot

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XRT
Luggage clean
« on: February 28, 2020, 11:23:08 AM »
My new Tiger 800 xrt came with Triumph Panniers, rectangular aluminium style. I also added a matching Givi top box. Now, after a very short time I have found the surface of all the luggage seems to be marked/corroding purely down to weather. The bike is garaged, so not standing in the weather/rain. Is this common, is there a way of protecting it from the elements, cleaning advise? Thanks.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
Re: Luggage clean
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 01:21:09 PM »
Hi and :401:

My bike isn't garaged just parked outdoors uncovered with the topbox permanently on. It has sort of white spots on it but I don't worry about it. If you try using any polish type cleaner you end up removing the lacquer layer and polishing to a shiny bare aluminium finish which will then need even more constant attention (IMO).
The official Triumph recommendations for cleaning are at the end of the fitting instructions, page 15 . though I'm not convinced that process is adequate.

https://www.triumphinstructions.com/ProdDocs/A2353434-EN.pdf
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 01:33:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by Phot [+]
My new Tiger 800 xrt came with Triumph Panniers, rectangular aluminium style. I also added a matching Givi top box. Now, after a very short time I have found the surface of all the luggage seems to be marked/corroding purely down to weather. The bike is garaged, so not standing in the weather/rain. Is this common, is there a way of protecting it from the elements, cleaning advise? Thanks.
My 800 XCa did not come with luggage but I have been mulling over whether to buy silver or black pannier boxes. It sounds as though the silver ones are simply lacquered and, like a lot of aluminium engine cases, this usually offers good protection for quite a long time before the aluminium underneath starts to corrode. If your bike is still under warranty including the panniers, I would take them back and complain. I need to look at the black ones again but, if they are not anodised, I would worry that any paint/lacquer finish might not stand up any hard use?
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline Baetech

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800XRt
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 04:06:13 PM »
Typical problem in aluminum , we all suffer from it....  try using plastic cleaner to sort of buff the outside, you can also use WD-40 to polish and coat the exterior.

Offline Mav

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800 XRx
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 08:00:50 PM »
 :0461:

I use WD40, brings them up a treat.
2017 XRx
2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor

Offline nobsta

• Tiger Master
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 09:04:54 AM »
I use cheap old Lidl spray furniture polish for my black panniers. Brings them up a treat.  :007:

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 10:10:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by nobsta [+]
I use cheap old Lidl spray furniture polish for my black panniers. Brings them up a treat.  :007:

Ha,  :0461: I nick the wife's Mr Sheen, brings the paintwork up a treat anorl. My ally (Trax) boxes are 5 years old, still good as new.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline nobsta

• Tiger Master
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 10:23:58 AM »
 :046: All the bike shops used to use it years ago on the new bikes. Don't know what happened but it seemed to go out of favour for mega expensive stuff.

Offline ronnyb

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800 xrx
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 11:34:13 AM »
WD40  :028:

Offline Nickw_uk

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2020, 10:40:16 PM »
I wash mine and use ACF. Not got the spots yet.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch