Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: couldn't lift the bike up......  (Read 1704 times)

Offline rantanplan

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: XC 800 2018
couldn't lift the bike up......
« on: March 01, 2020, 07:16:05 PM »
Long story short, first nap.......
Fitted new tyres, went to scrub them in, and see how they act, after 150 km on paved road went on a gravel sandy road by the sea, standing up the pegs, and here we go BUT  :138:  :138: i had forgoten to disable the traction control  :232: after some meters went down right hand side  :087:  :087: fortunately i' m O.K, as for the bike the upper oem bars bent,  :151:  before the crash could fit 2 of my fingers between the bars and the cowls now only one.....
Trying to lift the bike, was impossible for me,  :006:  tryed all possible ways i know but nothing, i was strangling to lift the bike but no way no way. Fortunately again, when i decided to go find some help, a car happend to pass by and i had help  :046:   I'm 1,72m or 5,6ft 75kgr normal build
It's not the first heavy bike i own, but the only one i couldn't pick up, i had Africa twin 98' i could pick it up easily, also i picked up easily a cbf1000.
Conclusion........
Don't forget the TC  :192:  :192:  :192:
I'm very very troubled having a bike that i cannot lift by my own, will seeeee, very sceptical......
Disappointed of the upper oem bars, the bike went down with very low speed and ALSO IN SAND, the bars bent to the inside for about 2cm
Anyone like me having difficulty lift the bike??????
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 07:40:11 PM by rantanplan »

Offline UncleGary

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
Re: couldn't lift the bike up......
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 08:28:54 PM »
I understand your pain. My old BMW weighed about the same as the Tiger but the center of gravity was much lower. I could lift the BMW easier than the Tiger. I have only had the bad experience of lifting the Tiger once. I used a technique similar to the first one in this video:

/>
I have no plans to try and lift a fallen Tiger by myself in the future. I'll get help or the auto club. Two person lifts are just so much safer.

Offline rantanplan

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 08:40:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by UncleGary [+]
I understand your pain. My old BMW weighed about the same as the Tiger but the center of gravity was much lower. I could lift the BMW easier than the Tiger. I have only had the bad experience of lifting the Tiger once. I used a technique similar to the first one in this video:

/>
I have no plans to try and lift a fallen Tiger by myself in the future. I'll get help or the auto club. Two person lifts are just so much safer.

:0461: i couldn't think the possibility having issue lifting the bike, didn't try this  technique i wasn't aware, will try with a friend by me
Thank you for the feed back   :028:

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 10:43:01 PM »
I only have one bicep in each arm having torn one in each arm so have very limited arm strength with the constant fear that if I damaged the remaining bicep that arm would become useless.
But I had previously once seen this clip and remembering the technique have twice picked my Tiger up after mishaps. :028:

/>
The worst bit was the thought I would lift too far and the bike go past vertical and over onto it's other side. :005:
I just took it slow and made sure I had the bike stable before attempting to turn and get the side stand down.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 10:58:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
The worst bit was the thought I would lift too far and the bike go past vertical and over onto it's other side. :005:
I just took it slow and made sure I had the bike stable before attempting to turn and get the side stand down.

That is why if the bike is on its right side you put the side stand down before you start lifting. If the bike is on it's left side there is no real issue.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 11:06:40 PM »
 :172: ..... mine was left side on both occasions. :006:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline rantanplan

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 11:16:08 PM »
I only have one bicep in each arm having torn one in each arm so have very limited arm strength with the constant fear that if I damaged the remaining bicep that arm would become useless.
But I had previously once seen this clip and remembering the technique have twice picked my Tiger up after mishaps. :028:

/>
Tryed that way but didn;t work for me  :084:  :027: maybe the sand didn't help
Thank you
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 11:21:58 PM by rantanplan »

Offline PapaTom

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Blue XRx (Gen2)
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 11:23:24 PM »
Study different techniques and then, as you mentioned, practice with a friend.
Glad you are OK.

:031:

Offline rantanplan

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 11:25:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by PapaTom [+]
Study different techniques and then, as you mentioned, practice with a friend.
Glad you are OK.

:031:
will do so  :031:  :031:

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 06:38:01 AM »

/>

The only problem with this technique, although I used it too, is that the front wheel is not in the best position to help you. A friend had the opportunity, to be in the last motorcycle troup in the swiss army years ago and the technique they use is simply if the bike falls on it's left side, point the tire to the sky, so full right hand lock, squat in front of the left handgrip, take it with both hands and just drive it up with you legs, you'd be surprised by the leverage power you have !

If you have arm issues, go to a climbing gear shop and buy 2 of their 1m strap, they use to attach on walls to rest, and if the bike goes down, attach on the frame or anywhere, squat both straps on your shoulders and lift, that's how most pro movers in switzerland move furniture.

If all else fails, just buy this thing : https://www.eastbound.shop/product-info/lifting-a-motorcycle-motowinch-info/

Recent Topics

winded-staunch