Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fully or Semi  (Read 1074 times)

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
Re: Fully or Semi
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2020, 07:10:09 AM »
https://lifeatlean.com/how-often-to-change-motorcycle-oil/

Usually go full synth and on japanese I saw there was no point changing oil before services, I'll be checking what the oil looks like when doing my first Triumph service, to get an idea but I guess it will be close to the japs.

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2020, 04:38:19 PM »
I've not used anything but full fat stuff for years now, I don't have any particularly definitive evidence of it's superiority though

Mine gets done once a year, in the Winter at around 5-6K miles, my current bike has 9K miles service intervals so well within 
The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline Flyingbanana

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800,SV1000
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2020, 04:39:45 PM »
I am sure my manual says 10w40 semi or fully syn so i guess its down to how regular you service etc

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2020, 08:56:43 AM »
Common sense says it depends how an engine is used/abused. Race bikes & MotoX are usually changed every race, Track & Enduro bikes every other time out. I change the oil & filter every 500 -600 miles on my Traillie as most do. Hard use in low gears being hard on oil.

Many of the oil companies recommend the oil change in bikes every 3k miles. Engines & gearboxes using same oil likely has something to do with that. A magnetic sump plug tells the tale in that respect.
https://www.elf.com/en/lubricants-faq/how-change/how-often-change-oil-motorcycle?field_topics_tid=41

Son in law is foreman mechanic at a large independent, he tells me since the long life oil & long change intervals with cars started, they have been replacing a lot of worn camshafts at major services.

Each to their though, most folk don't keep a bike long enough for it to become a problem.....to them.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2020, 03:56:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]

Son in law is foreman mechanic at a large independent, he tells me since the long life oil & long change intervals with cars started, they have been replacing a lot of worn camshafts at major services.

My new ford has gone back to 10K services
It's only a year old and has already had 5 services  :114:
The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2020, 04:03:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rtwo [+]
It's only a year old and has already had 5 services  :114:

By eckerslike, 50k miles in a year.  :005:  It's to be hoping that's a company car, wouldn't like to be paying your fuel bill.

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2020, 04:18:54 PM »
52K last year

Yeah, I don't pick up the bills - just collect the Tesco points  :001:
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2020, 04:27:46 PM »
The reduction of anti-wear and extreme-pressure additives - like zinc-based ZDDP - has been cited as a major contributor to cam lobe / lifter wear. Additives like ZDDP have been removed in the name of emissions regs. and for cat-con longevity.

*Originally Posted by Rtwo [+]
Newer designed engines often employ overhead cams, multiple valves, roller cam followers, lower valve spring pressure, etc. -- to lessen the requirement for anti-wear / extreme-pressure additive.
Emissions regs. have also helped keep engine oils cleaner -- allowing for longer drain intervals.
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2020, 04:46:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]
Newer designed engines often employ overhead cams, multiple valves, roller cam followers, lower valve spring pressure, etc. -- to lessen the requirement for anti-wear / extreme-pressure additive.
Emissions regs. have also helped keep engine oils cleaner -- allowing for longer drain intervals.

The theory is good, not sure it's working too well.

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2020, 05:04:02 PM »
. since the long life oil & long change intervals with cars started, they have been replacing a lot of worn camshafts at major services.

My VW Golf TDi is in theory (engine code) 'long life' based servicing/oil changes but (on request) was recoded on PDI to annual/mileage based servicing and as such does approx. 5k miles per year and gets its oil and filter done approx. mid-August each year a few days before annual MOT with Castrol Edge non-long life oil.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Recent Topics