Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Heat to the crotch ...fixed  (Read 2747 times)

Offline Brettus

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800XR 2011
Heat to the crotch ...fixed
« on: March 01, 2020, 11:12:13 PM »
I did a lot of searching and read a lot about peoples solutions for fixing this issue . For me and my co-owner the heat coming up between my legs when stopped at a light etc was unacceptable. We looked at the ideas on here but ended up with something completely different .
The idea works so well that I thought it worth sharing. At stop lights the problem has gone completely and in general riding heat is no longer an issue . We still get heat around the calf area but it's really not a bother.
What we did was mount a deflector on top of the engine running from one side to the other . On side profile you can barely see it so it does not detract visually.
You need to remove the gas tank to fit it and it did take a while to get the shape exactly right.Also , on our bike the radiator gaurds were removed(not by us) and this influenced the design (made it work better actually).
Happy to go into more detail if anyone is interested.
We have done about 500kms on hot days (30C ) since the mod. and have noticed no downsides so far.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 11:17:01 PM by Brettus »

Offline TCGOFF

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800
Re: Heat to the crotch ...fixed
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 12:09:34 AM »
Can you share what material you used and how you mounted it?

Offline Brettus

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 12:20:53 AM »
*Originally Posted by TCGOFF [+]
Can you share what material you used and how you mounted it?

It's made from 1.2mm Aluminium sheet and mounted on top of the engine through a couple of holes we found. No Idea what the holes were for but ....I do now :)

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 01:01:08 AM »
isn't it going to stop air flow across the top of the cylinders?

Offline Brettus

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 01:37:48 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
isn't it going to stop air flow across the top of the cylinders?

Pretty much ...yes . There will still be a little flow across the middle one -you can see a small gap there. I thought about it but really don't see that as an issue on a water cooled engine.

Offline skidmark66

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 07:05:04 AM »
I like warm nuts especially in our climate. One minute riding in sunshine next snow. Looks a good idea though  :028:

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 07:49:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by Brettus [+]
Pretty much ...yes . There will still be a little flow across the middle one -you can see a small gap there. I thought about it but really don't see that as an issue on a water cooled engine.

No effect on the plugs or the electrical wiring?

Offline Brettus

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 07:59:28 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
No effect on the plugs or the electrical wiring?

Wiring and plugs sit behind the deflector so less heat for those . There is an aluminium heat sink in front of it that may possibly get less airflow past it .... do you know what that's for ?

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 11:44:01 AM »
No idea about the heat sink. I will look at mine next weekend when I do the 40k service.
I would have thought that less air going over the heads would mean more heat for the spark plugs rather than less. As long as the bike temp gauge stays where it should be then I guess we can assume everything is running okay.

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 12:13:24 PM »
It's difficult to tell on your photo, but it appears you are blocking airflow over the Voltage Rectifier/Regulator.
That's that rectangular box with heat sink fins on the frame near the headstem. Don't block the air over that or you might find yourself with no electrical charging or worse.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch